Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#135047 - 06/07/08 12:32 AM Re: How about a lighter topic? Visiting Philadelph [Re: 91gdub]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Ever seen Rocky?
Don't forget the art museum steps from the Rocky film; they used to have his statue there, but I heard they moved it. Get a photo of yourself doing the same pose on the steps and title it "the next Stallone."
Also, the art museum itself is nice, and if you like Auguste Rodin (the "Thinker" statue) they have a small building devoted to his work about 2 blocks from the main building.

#135280 - 06/09/08 04:06 PM Re: How about a lighter topic? Visiting Philadelph [Re: bws48]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
If you are still there and check in before you go, I recommend a trip to Tony Luke's for a Roast Pork Italian sandwich. On one artery clogging day a few years ago, a good friend and I had cheesesteaks from Pat's, Geno's and Jim's. We found Jim's to be the best cheesesteak, although I cannot say any one part was better than the parts at the other two. However, we had Tony Luke's Roast Pork Italian that night, and it was better than any of the cheesesteaks.

#135281 - 06/09/08 04:20 PM Re: How about a lighter topic? Visiting Philadelph [Re: Dan_McI]
sandbasser Offline
Stranger

Loc: Southern California
When in Philly I always plan on stopping my Macy's to hear the Wanamaker Organ... An absolutely amazing pipe organ (google it!!!)

I'll add my vote to Jim's as the best cheesesteaks. And, I'll be sure to try Tony Luke's Roast Pork Italian sandwich.

#135806 - 06/13/08 01:03 AM Re: How about a lighter topic? Visiting Philadelph [Re: sandbasser]
SARbound Offline
Addict

Loc: Quebec City, Canada
Here I am, back from my trip to Philadelphia! A short list of things I did:

Had a cheesesteak (provo wit) down at Steaks On South (SOS). I wanted to go to Pat's or Geno's, however I realized I was too far east while walking on South street so I just decided to get it over with, besides they had that NBC survey posted on their door that says that 57% of the people prefered their cheesesteaks so..,;

Went on a tour (Ride the ducks) with the WWII-era amphibious vehicule (fun);

Walked around quite a bit, basically covered every possible steet between Arch and South (N-S) and 17th and Front (W-E);

Had General Tso's chicken at Four Rivers, VERY basic decor but the food was great!

Went for sushi at Haru's (corner or 3rd and Chestnut). That turned out to be a HUGE disapointment. First, the lady mumbled something about a drink she wanted me to try, possibly because I looked really sweaty with all this walking : turned out to be a 11$ drink! It was just vodka with watermelon juice, what a rip-off! Then, I had a sushi plate that cost 19$ but wasn't that big... Boooo Haru;

Last but not least, went for a tour with I-Glide tours, on a Segway! I had a BALL! Some group that was supposed to be there in the morning canceled because of the heat, so I ended up alone with the tour guide. He unlocked the Seg (12 mph limit instead of 6) once he saw I was able to control it, and off we went! I highly recommend this Segway tour in you're in Philly and never rode a Segway.

I didn't care much about the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, and other historic landmarks since I was mostly looking to walk around and feel the city, not wait in line and/or stand in overcrowded places waiting for people to move over.

There! Thank you everyone for your replies to my original message.

Take care,

#135825 - 06/13/08 02:36 AM Re: How about a lighter topic? Visiting Philadelph [Re: SARbound]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...vodka with watermelon juice..."

Yuk! That sounds worse than raw fish! What a waste of vodka!!!

#135853 - 06/13/08 11:51 AM Re: How about a lighter topic? Visiting Philadelph [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
SARbound,

Glad that you had a good time... My mother-in-law rode the Ducks and said it was a fun time. The Segway tour seems like it would be fun as well!

So, overall, sounds like a fun trip.

Mike

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 379 Guests and 59 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
The price of gold
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 12:43 AM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.