Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#133578 - 05/23/08 06:01 AM Re: Checking a bag? $15 Please [Re: jshannon]
redflare Offline
Addict

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
Originally Posted By: jshannon
Mike brings up a good point. You have paid for your ticket and now they say you cannot take all of that on board and must check at least one bag. Your price will be re-adjusted after your trip?

Originally Posted By: Mike_H
How about the times when the airline forces you to check a bag because there isn't enough room? Should you have to pay for that?

"American is already dealing with confusion over the new fee on a first checked bag. Spokesman Tim Wagner said passengers whose carry-on must be checked because the overhead bins are full won't be charged. He said only about half of U.S. travelers check at least one bag."

from
http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080522/airlines_outlook.html

#133901 - 05/28/08 02:12 PM Re: Checking a bag? $15 Please [Re: redflare]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
Well, at least that is good.

When flying for business, I almost always tried to get away without checking a bag. However, travel someplace with the Mrs. and a little one in toe and try not to check one...

#133913 - 05/28/08 03:29 PM Re: Checking a bag? $15 Please [Re: ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...only gave him a five dollar tip. Sorry, but that guy probably gets so many tips a day that he's doing just fine..."

That would be my guess too. Plus he probably gets a pretty good salary/benefits. Guess I spent too many years as a "public servant" to get all worked up over tipping...

#133916 - 05/28/08 03:45 PM Re: Checking a bag? $15 Please [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

I'm sorry but when did a $5 dollar tip for handling bags become bad?

#133956 - 05/28/08 08:42 PM Re: Checking a bag? $15 Please [Re: Mike_H]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Last I heard a couple a bucks a bag was standard for major airports. Up to $5 if a bag is exceptionally large or heavy. IMHO a fin would be about right for two average bags.

On the there hand some of the skycap and porter trade is a shakedown with the guy grabbing a hand bag, tossing it into a cab and smiling with his hand out. Sort of like the squeegee guys at street corners. They do nothing, or next to nothing, sometimes less than nothing, and then guilt you into a tip.

There are some that do real and useful work speeding people and their bags securely through the crowds. The best have connections with the cabbies and security so you get a good driver and move swiftly. They also coordinate with other passengers and drivers to make the most efficient use of time and space so you save money. A service well worth $20 or more.

But for every good one there seems to be at least one that is running a shakedown glorified by a hat and jacket.

#133961 - 05/28/08 09:12 PM Re: Checking a bag? $15 Please [Re: Art_in_FL]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
I just checked a bag at LaGuardia last weekend. It had a sign posted that the fee to curb check a bag was $2 per bag. The guy who got tipped by IzzyJG99's Mom did better than the guy who checked me in. I tipped, but he did not get $5 in all, only $4.

Although, I would've given him a $5 if I had it, mostly because I kind of see that as the normal going rate for curbside, based on past comments and experiences.

There was one guy I gave at least $20 to a few years ago, but he got me out of and around a line when I was late for the plane.

If you look at the math, these guys work for probably 8 hours a day and check in on average probably a bag at least every five minutes. (When they are busy, I think it's a bag a minute, so I am liberally figuring in some slack time.) That's at least an additional $128 a day on top of any hourly wage, with just $2 per bag. Most have to do more bags than that and get more per bag than that.

#133978 - 05/28/08 11:19 PM Re: Checking a bag? $15 Please [Re: MartinFocazio]
91gdub Offline

Loc: South Jersey (the 51st state)
Back in the late 90's I was put in charge of Skycaps by the airline that I used to work for. Managed a work force of over 300 of them for a few years.
Overall they are good hard working folks that do their best each and every day. They made significantly less than minimum wage because of tipping. Trust me...they made out just fine!
A decent Skycap working 4-6 hours a day (most of them worked part-time back then) would make between $100 and 150 per day CASH! A very good to excellent Skycap would make double that!
It all depended on which shift they worked (seniority got the best shifts) and how good they were with customer service.

Now that I'm retired whenever I travel I try to use Skycaps. For good to excellent service I tip $5/bag. Average service gets $2/bag.

#133988 - 05/29/08 12:47 AM Re: Checking a bag? $15 Please [Re: Art_in_FL]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

"...guilt you into a tip..."

Fat chance of that with me. I don't mind tipping for good service, but I draw the line at that kind of BS...

#134033 - 05/29/08 12:15 PM Re: Checking a bag? $15 Please [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

I agree... I have no problem tipping for good service. When I get bad service, they are lucky if they get anything...

My philosophy is that I start with a set % of tip. What a waiter/waitress does can either increase it or decrease it.

#134041 - 05/29/08 01:45 PM Re: Checking a bag? $15 Please [Re: Mike_H]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

"...When I get bad service, they are lucky if they get anything..."

I used to just add the tip onto the bill when I payed by credit card, but recently had it explained to me that if I do that the employee has to pay taxes on the money, if I leave cash they may not. So now even that depends on the quality of the service. If I have lousy service and am leaving cash I leave a nickle. Leave nothing and they will just think that you are cheap. But for really lousy service I write "no tip due to poor service" on the tip line of the bill. I figure that someone up the chain will read that, and hopefully do something about it...

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 201 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
How 5 Fishermen Survived...Carried a PLB!
by Phaedrus
11:35 PM
Lost in Northern California Mountains for 10 Days
by Ren
06/25/24 08:36 PM
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by Eugene
06/25/24 06:46 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/23/24 06:12 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.