Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#13359 - 03/03/03 09:42 AM Photons in the UK
wola Offline

Loc: Swindon, UK
I picked up the Photon III at that website as well for £19.00 inc. UK delivery. This was several pounds cheaper than any of the other UK camping / military sites I found that sell them. It works fine as well. Arrived in about 5 days.

Cheers,
Rich

#13360 - 03/04/03 10:14 PM Re: Brightest Photon Light
dchinell Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: FL
Mike: I'd just like to add that a yellow or white light would be a good idea for your first aid kit, and as a backup for your red Photon. I cut myself one night, and with only a red photon, I couldn't tell if or where I was bleeding. -- Bear

#13361 - 03/04/03 10:35 PM Re: Brightest Photon Light
Anonymous
Unregistered

dchinell,

You are 100% correct.

I am getting super white photons for the FA kits. You need white lite in medical situations for more than seeing blood.

Determining skin color, pupil size and movement etc...

I have the super bright cylume sticks in the kits now but see the need for the white photon.

Mike

#13362 - 03/04/03 10:42 PM Re: Brightest Photon Light
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
Quote:
Determining skin color, pupil size and movement etc...

Hmmmm isn't LED little too powerfull for pupil size and movement determination? I'm asking since I much rather have photon led instead of one of those little POS flashlights...

Matt

#13363 - 03/04/03 10:56 PM Re: Brightest Photon Light
Anonymous
Unregistered

I keep a white Photon II in my pocket every day. It's real useful for "daily" lighting needs (finding the hole for a key at night, looking in dark corners, emergency light when the lights go out, etc). I've got a blue Photon I on my key ring...it does pretty good, casting a good wide beam but having some color distortion. My only red Photon II is in a kit that goes with me when I'm in the woods.

I don't think you can go wrong by buying several...try some different colors. You'll always find a place to keep them and they can come in pretty handy at times.

#13364 - 03/04/03 11:08 PM Re: Brightest Photon Light
Anonymous
Unregistered

Maybe one of the docs here can help us out on that one.

I don't think so. A pupil will react with very little light. Its the speed of pupil reaction thats determined buy light brightness.
It only takes a second to read a pupils reaction.

That being said a 10 million candle watt search light is not used for pupils haha.

I would think a photon light is fine, you can adjust the intensity with various distances away from the eye.
As always there is some common sense involved here.

One of the medics or docs can confirm this or set me straight.

Mike

#13365 - 03/04/03 11:12 PM Re: Brightest Photon Light
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Well reason I was asking is that I'm an EMT and was advised against such by senior members of the squad. Maybe it's because they have to pay for a photon and other ligths we get for free and that's why they are aginst it. But even my intructor told me to stick to a basic light.

Matt

#13366 - 03/04/03 11:33 PM Re: Brightest Photon Light
Anonymous
Unregistered

My friend is a paramedic and he uses a minimag on full.

How less bright does that compare to a photon light?

Mike

#13367 - 03/05/03 11:51 AM Re: Brightest Photon Light
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Hmmm... I asked my crew chief last night and showed him my photon light, it looks like it works. Now the problem is how to keep that tiny thing handy and not loose it.

Matt

#13368 - 03/06/03 12:16 AM Re: Brightest Photon Light
Comanche7 Offline
Addict

Loc: Florida
Polak187,

Use an adjustable safety breakaway type lanyard around your neck.

Part of my EDC is on one of these. One ARC AAA Led flashlight, one Fox40 Classic photolumenescent whistle and one Brunton wristband type compass <1" diameter.

The only negative that I experienced, was that the breakaway fitting had a little plastic flashing on the joint line that needed to be removed with a razor blade due to being itchy. Even then, it was not at all unbearable, just annoying until I fixed it.

The photon would be just fine on one of these lanyards, and very handy as well. In your case, you might wear it outside your shirt and tuck it in your pocket, or stuff it inside your shirt between two buttons until its needed. All in all, inexpensive, effective and very "doable".

Regards,
Comanche7

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
1 registered (marantz), 480 Guests and 74 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Lost in Northern California Mountains for 10 Days
by Ren
08:36 PM
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by Eugene
06:46 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/23/24 06:12 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.