Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#132685 - 05/12/08 08:12 PM Re: Checklists [Re: Taurus]
Paragon Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Greensboro, NC
Originally Posted By: Taurus
My new "modular" concept is working well. I was getting sick of all the God*****d lists.

I have several different "kits" that have always been configured in a modular format, with each kit self-contained for the most part. The two significant drawbacks to this method is that it is considerably more expensive since I often purchase several of the same item so that each kit is stand-alone, and of course the additional space and weight penality due to this redundancy when I carry several different modules.

I maintain an Excel document in order to keep track of everything. The file starts out with my basic EDC items, and then lists each individual module, all the way up to several large backpacks and an expedition level FAK that would be what I would throw in the car if I were planning to leave the house and never return.

There are several (a dozen or so) different worksheets, as each "kit" has its own dedicated section that is made up of several different "modules". At last count the main page (the first worksheet) is now well over 2,700 lines. The other worksheets that follow are considerably smaller, as they only list the individual items that make up the various modules that comprise that particular kit (i.e., Wilderness Survival Kit, Urban Survival Kit, FAK, Vehicle Kit, Camping Kit, etc.).

I generally try to keep a current contents list (printed directly from the Excel worksheet) within each kit, although it seems that I am constantly revising one or two items which renders the whole list obsolete. The other PITA with doing things this way is that if I revise a single item in a particular module, I then need to manually update each of the following worksheets that contain that module.

It's amazing how much time and money actually gets sucked into this "hobby" if you aren't careful.

Jim

#132693 - 05/12/08 09:57 PM Re: Checklists [Re: Paragon]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
Quote:
although it seems that I am constantly revising one or two items which renders the whole list obsolete.

This is why I took pics of all my gear, every single piece. It took some time but now I have all the pics in folders like “hunting gear, backpack gear, vehicle items” etc. If I am planning a trip I simply open a folder and look at all the little gear icons at once. I can drag and drop them into a blank folder and then when I think I got all I will need I press print and then bring the paper down to where the gear is stored as a reference while packing. I do have some smaller kits like PSKs, fire kits, FA kits etc but these get listed as a single item with another attached checklist.

For simple minded folks like myself, people who like colorful pictures and stuff grin I think it works great. Very user friendly with no lists to change and re-write every 5 minutes. Similar to Nighthikers setup, if I double click on a gear picture any other important info is there in a text box(serial numbers, expiry dates etc)

The biggest downside is that I no longer have a dedicated and ready packed BOB, But the risk is VERY low of ever needing to bug out where I live, unless it is with the Army and then all that gear is in a locker at work anyway. If I do need to, I can pack that bag very fast with this setup. Since I use my gear frequently I HATE to have any of it unused and sitting idle when I can be out getting into trouble with it.

#132712 - 05/13/08 01:11 AM Re: Checklists [Re: TeacherRO]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I used to have a lot of checklists, backpacking list, car camping list, RVing list, fishing list, hunting list, plinking list, etc etc etc. But I apparently got so good at it that I stopped looking at the lists. When we went from a Class A motorhome to a fifthwheel tlr it was all new to me, so I created a new list. It is still new enough, that I am still fine tuning the list. But a few more moves and hopefully it will all be filed away on my hard drive and I can pitch the list. Only problem is remembering what I had for breakfast...

#132716 - 05/13/08 02:10 AM Re: Checklists [Re: OldBaldGuy]
SARbound Offline
Addict

Loc: Quebec City, Canada
Like someone else said, it's very easy to waste a lot of precious time fiddling with checklists, always trying to optimize them making sure we are "as prepared as possible".

I've decided to put an end to this never-ending quest and only keep a basic checklist of stuff I usually wish to take on dayhikes or search and rescue missions. I find it much easier on myself to take a look at this list only, and adjust depending on the situation (rather than managing many many lists).

Edited by SARbound (05/13/08 02:12 AM)

#132782 - 05/13/08 07:54 PM Re: Checklists [Re: SARbound]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
1. I like lists; they are comforting in themselves because their "memory" does not get excited and forgetful as mine does from time to time.

2. If I do not have my lists, then it is sometimes hard to be sure if something neat I just saw isn't already in one of the kits.

3. I do not inventory my car kit or my BOB too often, so having the list / inventory reassures me "it's in there" until next inventory.

4. My checklists include a "wish list" section that becomes a shopping list.

5. Unpacking each kit, each time, is not practical for me. Nor could I be assured the time to repack in emergency, survival, situations.

6. It is esier to share my lists than to unpack for show-and-tell or to take the time to explain it all.

7. Third parties looking at a list have a much better chance of quickly finding things (maybe to help me survive) without having to tear everything apart.

Edited by dweste (05/14/08 01:15 AM)

#132819 - 05/14/08 01:38 AM Re: Checklists [Re: Mike_H]
red Offline

Man, I feel bad for ya, brother!

I've worn a leatherman for many years on my belt in plain view. Never had anyone ask why I was wearing a "knife". It may not be a fixed blade, but hey, it can do in a pinch. I'll admit if I had a 6 inch fixed hanging, I'd get some looks and questions.

#132931 - 05/15/08 12:44 AM Re: Checklists [Re: Nishnabotna]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
EDC only changes for a few (rare) locations unless I have to dress up for something.

#133669 - 05/25/08 12:59 AM Re: Checklists [Re: Mike_H]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Mike_H
It is amazing how, in this society, you can have pagers and cell phones clipped to your belt, but if you were to put on a small knife pouch, you must be looking for trouble. Too bad we can't include knives in business casual dress.

I can't figure that out. It's a tool. I find EMT shears work better in an urban environment than a pocket knife but that is what works best for me.

They are both tools so why EMT shears are considered more acceptable than a knife is beyond me.

Jeanette Isabelle

#133670 - 05/25/08 01:23 AM Re: Checklists [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
sodak Offline
Addict

I keep a spreadsheet of lists for backpacks, BOBs, and any time we go travelling. If I check off everything on the list, I know I'm covered. It also has things to do such as turning down the water heater, turning off the water, etc.

It's pretty easy, I just carry a 3 x 5 card with me, and when I forget something, write it down. When I get back home, it goes on the list.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 564 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.