Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#132427 - 05/09/08 02:56 PM Time for a knife intervention? Not just yet.
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I've just started the process of adding yet another knife to my collection...I decided recently that I have enough gear and didn't want to spend money on stuff but somehow this time is a little different.

I've wanted a classic Grohmann knife for a long time as, to me, there isn't a bush tool that is more distinctly Canadian than the classic Grohmann #1 belt knife the same as it was in 1958. I've also wanted a nice scandinavian knife...something a little more distinct than an $8 Frosts Mora. Since I'm not in the market for 2 blades and I've capped my spending as mentioned, I had a goofy idea...

Knowing Grohmann has a long tradition of custom knives I sent an innocent email yesterday morning to their customer service address asking a few questions about having a standard knife customized to my liking. Basically I was looking for the original #1 belt knife in Carbon steel (a less common option in these days of high tech stainless) with a scandinavian grind and in a left handed sheath to suit my southern paw.

I heard back right away (like within a half hour!) and over the course of a few emails including some pictures of examples of what a scandinavian grind looks like to me...it's already being made and should be done in a week or two. I wasn't 100% confident they would entertain my request but once I heard that they would be more than happy to oblige, I HAD to go through with it. It's only going to cost me an extra $25 over the retail price as to them this is far from custom...just a change to the way the blade is hand ground...a simple request for such pros.

It's nice to know that there are companies like this still out there who take pride in their work and will entertain requests like this at the drop of a hat and with minimal extra cost or hassle.

Once it gets here I'll post pictures including some action shots.

#132431 - 05/09/08 03:17 PM Re: Time for a knife intervention? Not just yet. [Re: ]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
Quote:
there isn't a bush tool that is more distinctly Canadian than the classic Grohmann #1 belt knife the same as it was in 1958.

Up until very recently, These knives were still current Canadian Military issued field knives. I have about five of the things kicking around in my basement, some of them never used. I like them, but the sheaths rot away fast in a wet environment. The tips are weak, and the wooden handles just didn't hold up the kind of jobs I needed a field knife to do.

Nothing cuts without snagging like a Grohman belt knife though. Cold steel has a plastic handled version that sells fairly cheap.

#132433 - 05/09/08 03:35 PM Re: Time for a knife intervention? Not just yet. [Re: Taurus]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

It's true that they aren't known for their durability under hard use...but for hard use I have other knives I can use in it's place. I was just feeling nostalgic and wanted a superior cutting tool that I can give to my kids if taken care of properly. It won't be any less durable than a carbon steel Mora I'm sure.

I've looked at the Cold Steel version many times...but buying a knife named a 'Canadian knife' from a US company never sat right with me. I'm sure it's a sturdy knife though as most Cold steel knives are.

#132440 - 05/09/08 04:36 PM Re: Time for a knife intervention? Not just yet. [Re: ]
justmeagain Offline
Journeyman

I have a #3 and two lockblade folders. I really like the knives and would be devistated if I broke the tips. For hard use I've been using Mora's. I look forward to seeing your pictures.

#132451 - 05/09/08 07:07 PM Re: Time for a knife intervention? Not just yet. [Re: justmeagain]
Jackal Offline

Loc: cornwall UK
sofar this week i have bought, 2x moras, 1x harsey hunter, 1x SOG field pup. oh and a gransfors bruks axe and you need an intervention smile

#132556 - 05/11/08 04:54 AM Re: Time for a knife intervention? Not just yet. [Re: ]
Joseph13 Offline
Journeyman

Hacksaw,
Please post some pictures after you recive the knife. I love their blades, have a #1, #3 and two #4's (one stainless, one carbon). Tarus is absolutly correct about the weak points. I have been thinking of sending them a billet of D2 steel to make a #4 with micarta handle scales and kydex sheath, so I am very interested in how you request turns out.

P.S. They do make some kydex sheaths for the various models if you need something more durable.

Joe

#132568 - 05/11/08 12:51 PM Re: Time for a knife intervention? Not just yet. [Re: Joseph13]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I don't think they do Kydex but I didn't ask. I was looking for something traditional.

The sheaths as they come from the factory are just tanned leather so far as I know and fairly soft. I'll be giving mine the old wax dip treatment so that it will last as close to forever as possible.

#132725 - 05/13/08 11:31 AM Re: Time for a knife intervention? Not just yet. [Re: ]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Loc: London England
'I decided recently that I have enough gear and didn't want to spend money on stuff'

If you have nothing sensible to say - say nothing. This is your only warning. blasphemy like this will not be tolerated in future!
The Sock

#132822 - 05/14/08 02:25 AM Re: Time for a knife intervention? Not just yet. [Re: ]
Joseph13 Offline
Journeyman

Hacksaw,

Looks like you are right, see this link:
http://www.knivesdirect.com/details.php?Model=1k

Kydex no longer avalible.

#132827 - 05/14/08 03:27 AM Re: Time for a knife intervention? Not just yet. [Re: Joseph13]
Jackal Offline

Loc: cornwall UK
http://www.northcoastknives.com/northcoast_knives_tutorials.htm

several sheath making tutorials there for leather, Kydex and wood

also on making your own knives is covered and steel types

Edited by Jackal (05/14/08 03:30 AM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 363 Guests and 35 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
The price of gold
by dougwalkabout
Today at 02:17 AM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.