IIRC, you are probably relatively close to the Amish/Mennonite communities of Southern PA. Find a way to pick their brains. Granted, some are more modern than others, but they have good lifestyle skills that translate very nicely into what you are trying to do.

One of the previous posts mentioned how much work the "garden for a family" was. Research that thread. Also, look into container gardening and other options.

I would look into non-conforming (non-show) dwarf/pygmy goats. I was acquainted with a guy in NJ that had some Nigerian Dwarf goats. They required surprising little room, were hardy and healthy as all get out, and their feeding needs are easy. I would possibly breed them a little. The meat is pretty good. I like "cabrito", as our Spanish-speaking friends call it. Also, milk, cheese, yogurt.

Look at your house heating requirements. How will you handle the power outage from a blizzard? Same from the occassional tropical storm that manages to drift into the area. The generator is for more than water pumping.

All-in-all you are on the right track.