Scariest moment of my life was in 1995. Wife and I spent a weekend in San Francisco (49ers game, Phantom of the Opera). On Monday morning we drove to Oakland for the morning before headind across the Bay to the San Francisco Airport for an afternoon flight. While in Oakland, I realized that I still had the hotel room key (it was an actual key, prior to the days of the small credit card type access). We headed to the airport a little earlier than we had intended so that we could drop by the hotel and return the key. Just as we came off the Bay Bridge, the radio announced that the jury had reached a decision in the O.J. Simpson case. Fear immediately came over me as O.J. Simpson is from San Francisco and I feared that a guilty verdict might make the LA riots of '92 look mild. Fortunately, the next thing the announcer on the radio said was that the verdict would be announced the following morning, long after I had returned home to Salt Lake where I had little fear of race riots regardless of the verdict.

I'm hoping for the best in people in New York but be careful.