Originally Posted By: SheetBend
In an emergency, my present (unofficial) plan is that if I needed to use pool water to drink, I would put it through the best NSF rated counter top carbon filter I could get.

Big_Al, I've been trying to research this some more for the past couple days, but I still haven't found a definitive "Yes, you can drink pool water" with an explanation why. I guess part of the reason is because there are a variety of chemicals people can use, so it's hard for a blanket statement to cover every chemical. Coming from the filtration side, no one who makes consumer grade activated charcoal filters ever mentions pool chemicals, so it's hard to say if they would work.

Well, trying to be pragmatic here and considering a truly emergency situation, I think SheetBend's advice is as good as you're going to get to this question. Treat the water for microbes by your method of choice at the time of use, and also filter through activated charcoal to try and remove as many chemicals as possible. If it's a matter of dying of dehydration next to your 15,000 gallon pool or drinking pool water, then drinking the pool water is an option.

Boiling might reduce some chemicals, but I'm not sure how many typical pool chemicals are volatile enough to be affected by boiling so it might not really work well at all. I don't think many are. I would rely on the activated charcoal over boiling.