Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#130427 - 04/17/08 06:28 PM To all Canadians on ETS
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
As I read this article I am reminded of all the kind words and PMs from fellow Canadians and all my forign friends before my unexpected TAV overseas. Even though it only lasted 6 weeks it was my 4th time over with my fifth coming up sooner than I would like(all my friends are in the same boat) The Canadian public has always stood behind the troops 100 % and this shows just how much. To all the Canuks here I thank you from the bottom of my heart for this. I had to post this here as I got pretty chocked up reading it. A lot of these fallen soldiers were close friends. As for the British troops, it's too bad. They deserve the same. I feel really sad for them.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk

#130431 - 04/17/08 07:28 PM Re: To all Canadians on ETS [Re: Taurus]
Mike_in_NKY Offline

Loc: KY
Taurus,

I too thank you for your service and that of your comrades. Having lived in Canada and spending some time in the reserves (12 yrs), I felt that Canadians generally didn't express much support to the military, except in the communities where they are a big part of the local economy. Watching the scenes on CBC of many Canadians paying tribute to fallen soldiers really tugged at the old heartstrings. The amazing thing is it wasn't just the first few, but seems to be increasing as each returns home.

I must say the only time I wrote a politician about anything was when "Canada's New Government" wanted to restrict media access to report on the returning members at Trenton. I felt that it should have been up to the family members to make that decision, not some politician trying to interfere. One advantage of no longer being in the CF is that I can say what I want to politicians. Not that they will listen anyway. But it makes me feel a bit better.

I know that Canada's role in Afghanistan is an issue to some Canadians but it is my experience that any Canadian Soldier (as well as those from other countries) they will do their best to do the jobs they are committed to by their chain of command. I had no doubt that the CF troops would perform as they have. Again I thank you and your fellow CF members for making me feel like a proud Canadian again!

#130435 - 04/17/08 09:03 PM Re: To all Canadians on ETS [Re: Mike_in_NKY]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Bravo Canadians. To me this is what Canadians are at heart - the other thing that sticks out are how many people wear Red Poppies in their lapel, not just on Rembembrance Day (Nov 11) but for weeks before or after, or whenever Canadian soldiers are in harms way. Maybe Americans have the rough equivalent with the ever-present US flag lapel pin we see in Congress, but it doesn't seem to have the strength or sincerity of the poppy.

Anyway, regardless of your politics, I hope we never forget the sacrifice of the fallen soldiers of all nations.

#130458 - 04/18/08 01:03 AM Re: To all Canadians on ETS [Re: Lono]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

In our country (and elsewhere) too many people in their oft mis-guided judgment, define their heroes as their favorite sports athlete, television or movie celebrity. However for many of us our heroes are the men and women of our Canadian Forces. In Canada we are all proud of those fine men and women in uniform who are thousands of miles from home, their spouses, parents, siblings. children and all other family and friends...regardless of the political reasons why they are there.

When I see TV news of our Canadian Forces dying overseas, the ramp ceremonies, and the moving tributes to the fallen along the Highway of Heroes, it almost brings me to tears everytime. I only hope that we never allow these tributes to stop as long as our fallen make their last journey home.

This very moving video says it all.

#130468 - 04/18/08 03:27 AM Re: To all Canadians on ETS [Re: ]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

my Grandfather--who i'm named after--was gassed at Ypres..
lived but was always a sicky man..i keep his ring..with
"our" initials engraved on it close by--the Canadians
always seems to be the forgotten ones..

#130530 - 04/19/08 02:35 AM Re: To all Canadians on ETS [Re: CANOEDOGS]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Taurus, let me assure you of the overwhelming groundswell of support for our troops in this difficult and dangerous conflict.

Even people who think the overall mission has been badly mishandled, and that various politicians should be tarred and feathered for it, still support the troops.

I hope that if we can stick it out long enough, the Afghanis -- all of them -- will find the courage to move past the generations of war they've seen and build something bolder and better.

As for me, my heart is there at the ramp, on the bridge, beside the road, even when the rest of me can't be. Not that I believe in war; war is never a cleansing, it is an admission of collective failure; yet there are times we dare not shrink from it, lest we lose things we hold most true.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow ...

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 363 Guests and 35 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
The price of gold
by dougwalkabout
Today at 02:17 AM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.