The use of an NPA is most effective when using in conjunction with O2 administration for a breathing patient via a non-rebreather or standard oxygen administration mask.

Quote:
I would use one to secure an open airway.
"When a patient becomes unconscious, the muscles in the jaw commonly relax and can allow the tongue to slide back and obstruct the airway."

In this case, to open up the airway I would advise using the head-tilt chin-lift or modified jaw-thrust techniques rather then taking the time to insert an NPA especially if you were not trained to do so. If the patient is in respiratory arrest and you plan on providing rescue breathing, unless you have a pocket mask that covers both mouth and nose, the NPA is pretty much useless. The insertion is slightly different for the left vs. the right nares and improper insertion can lead to trauma and subsequent hemorrhage of the nasal passage further complicating airway management.

Quote:
"Where an artificial form of airway maintenance is necessary but it is impossible or unadvisory to use an oropharyngeal airway, the preferred type of airway adjunct. For example, in a patient having epileptic seizures whose teeth are clenched shut. Also, oropharyngeal airways often trigger a patient's gag reflex, while nasopharyngeal airways often do not."

While this can be utilized for this scenario, generally while the patient is actively seizing they are not really breathing effectively, an NPA is going to do little and the risk of insertion and causing trauma is greater then the benefit, especially if this not a skill you perform routinely. Keep in mind a NPA is still only providing an airway size of one-half to two-thirds the size of the person’s single nare, without supplemental O2, you are not really providing an adequate airway.

Follow the KISS principle; learn basic airway management (head-tilt chin-lift and modified jaw-thrust techniques), rescue breathing and CPR, you will by far benefit the patient, then trying to insert an NPA.

Just my humble opinion-
Pete