Hmmm...how would you 'mericans know Back Bacon...

I guess it's sometimes called Canadian Bacon down there. Peameal bacon is basically back bacon but around here it doesn't always have the peameal crust. I think Irish Bacon is technically the same thing too...or very similar at least. Some info here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacon

But I'm not sure where they get their figures from. The back bacon I buy has less than 3 grams of fat per serving raw.

Anyhow...I have a convection oven with a dehydration setting (full fan, 140 degrees F). Dries just about anything to leather in 4 to 8 hours depending on how thick it is.

I just put the marinated meat (or whatever) on wire drying racks in cookie tins and load the oven up. Check on it every 2-3 hours.

I make the marinade myself by eye...there's so many jerky recipes out there I do my own thing and it always turns out. It's hard to go wrong with that much Worchestershire sauce wink

The real trick is not leaving it in too long. If it's over dry it's VERY well preserved but almost unchewable...turns to dust when you grind on it. If you're drying food only to use as an additive (and jerky can be used to flavor dishes with amazing results), this is an option. Dried veggies for soups say. You need to be careful with some foods because even at 140 degrees you'll cook some stuff before it dries.