Ideally it would be best if every plane had it's own security force and the pilot was just a pilot. I think that might be the most preferable way to get the job done, and I am sure most pilots would prefer letting someone else focus on securing the airplane so they can do what they are supposed to do. My experience is that, as with ships, pilots are responsible for the total operation of the aircraft. If something goes wrong on the airplane, the pilot is informed of the issue and has the final say about what will be done. This includes dealing with unruly passengers from time to time.

If they are going to start excluding the guy flying the plane from the security equation, then I think they are just asking for something bad to happen. I can appreciate the cockpit limitations on weapons availability, right up to the point where armed assailants are outside the door taking out their frustrations on the flight attendants and the passengers. I would prefer a more proactive response from people who are responsible for the whole welfare of the flight, not just concerned with getting from point a to point b.