Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Originally Posted By: MoBOB
I thought "variation" was declination.

Same thought, different words?

The two words are used to mean the same thing. See:
http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/seg/geomag/declination.shtml

Declination is also be used to indicate the position of celestial bodies. When so used, it is used in the same way that latititude is used on the surface of the Earth. If the sun has a declination of 18 degrees south, then it is going to be right above 18 degrees south latitude.

Edited by Dan_McI (03/20/08 04:47 PM)

#128025 - 03/21/08 06:24 PM Re: Thanks Doug! [Re: Dan_McI]
BillLiptak Offline
Enthusiast

I got a Doug Ritter PSK from my local Dick's Sporting Goods. When I got it home the first thing I did was to unpack it, familarize myself with the contents and check everything out. To my dismay the compass wasn't even close to north, more like 25 degrees off to the east. I double checked it against my Victorinox "go that away" compass/ruler/thermometer. Then double checked it against my LC-1 Cammenga military compass......it was just plain off. So back to Dick's I went. They cheerfully exchanged it, although I was sure to check the compass out first. They can work in the pouch, but not overly reliable. Have to make darn sure the button compass is level in relation to orientation to the ground vs. in the pouch otherwise the card will hang up giving a false reading. Overall well pleased with the PSK, god knows I cannot disipline myself to make one that small and functioal. My hats off to Doug on that one. Saved me the hassle/heartbreak. Now I can just concentrate on making a cargo pocket sized small kit and trust Doug's PSK for true pocket carry.

-Bill Liptak

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 398 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.