The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#127930 - 03/20/08 10:55 PM Re: I felt naked today... [Re: MartinFocazio]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
I haven't spent too terribly much time in big cities, as in actually living in the city. But from Vancouver to Cairo, I love big cities. There is always something to do, something new to try. Theatres, museums, and public transportation, the urban jungle with all the layers of diversity that implies. I also love being out in the wilderness, or where the wilderness is just a stone's throw away. Easy to go out and hike, fish and go climbing.

The places I don't like, and this is not about safety or anything really high minded just personal taste, is suburbs. They don't have the easy access to the benefits of urban life, you can't ride the subway to an art museum or find an obscure shop or restaurant. Just malls and big box stores. People have tiny yards, but there aren't really any parks to go visit. Plus their still usually pretty far from the woods or mountains.

Count me out of the suburbs.

#127931 - 03/20/08 10:56 PM Re: I felt naked today... [Re: Art_in_FL]
Blitz Offline
Gear Junkie
Addict

Loc: MA
Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
I find it easier to navigate in cities if I see them as a wilderness with diverse wildlife. Like all wildlife they all have their own behaviors and niches in the environment. Like valleys on either side of a ridge each has its own unique ecology.

Withing each zone you have herbivores and carnivores. Hunters and hunted, opportunists and scavengers. Many are cliff dwellers and some live underground. Some enjoy the sunlight while others are mostly nocturnal.

Like naturalists everywhere you have to mix blending in, so you don't disturb their natural behavior, with actively avoiding looking like one of the prey species to the more aggressive inhabitants.

+1 on that Art. I've never thought of it like that.

I have to say I love New York (But can't stand the Yankees.) I visited many times and have had great experiences. We went to Windows on the World 9/8/01. I also go into Boston on a regular basis and love it there as well (a little bit more than NYC of course) Growing up (not done yet) we used to party in Worcester. That was scary, I've had more situations there than Boston and NYC combined.

I'm not a city boy though, I wouldn't want to live in a city.

Blitz

#127932 - 03/20/08 10:59 PM Re: I felt naked today... [Re: bigmothertrucker]
Blitz Offline
Gear Junkie
Addict

Loc: MA
Originally Posted By: bigmothertrucker
dont feel bad wildman800, my buddy taurus is actually phobic of cities or large places. I tease the hell out of the guy about it and he will most likely punch me in the face for posting this but he is ACTUALLY unable to live in a large city or he will go insane. There actually is a name for it but I dont remember what it is. Put him in the open country and you will find no happier man. Put him in downtown Toronto and he is like a cat in a cat carrier. The sounds of hundreds of people all talking at once or rush hour traffic and he literally gets flushed, panicky and needs to go somewhere quiet.

I torment him all the time about it.

I can understand that. I would much rather be in the woods myself.

Blitz

#127949 - 03/21/08 01:02 AM Re: I felt naked today... [Re: Blitz]
jaywalke Offline

Loc: Appalachian mountains
NYC has it's good points, but for me they are all ones I can enjoy more as a tourist.

It was the commute that ground me down. Walking through Midtown at rush hour--at every corner a phalanx of people steps off the curb and marches toward each other, and there is nothing to do but turn your shoulders and plow through. That's where the over-the-shoulder stare comes in, because if you meet someone's eye you have to acknowledge them as a person and try to get out of the way, but there was no where to go. Every step was in the way. That, combined with the fact that the only people who talk to you are scammers (in Midtown and touristy areas, not so much in the neighborhoods) drove me crazy. I hated the fact that you couldn't afford to be decent and polite.

By the time I got home, the last thing I wanted to do was go out, so I only visited those great museums, shows, etc. when friends came into town. The rest of the time I may as well have been in Ohio (except for the great Cuban food and the sirens).

The crazies got to me, too. A young lady was shoved in front of an approaching train by a loony at my usual subway station, which was bad enough, but even worse was that there were two more murders during the next week, copycat crimes in the same station! Not one, but two people heard about it and thought it would be a good idea.

The open-minded attitudes were nice, but there is still a tendency of New Yorkers to dismiss the rest of the country as unworthy because it's not NYC (i.e. "fly-over country"). The solution I've found is living in a college town in the mountains. You get smart, open-minded people from all over the world, but still live in a town with a 15-minute "rush hour" where strangers hold doors, wave back using the whole hand, and start real conversations at the drop of a hat.

To each their own, of course.

Edited by jaywalke (03/21/08 01:19 AM)

#127951 - 03/21/08 01:10 AM Re: I felt naked today... [Re: MartinFocazio]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I WILL keep it in mind, thanks for the offer...

#127952 - 03/21/08 01:11 AM Re: I felt naked today... [Re: Dan_McI]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Thanks, will keep that in mind also...

#127991 - 03/21/08 12:48 PM Re: I felt naked today... [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
Hi Martinfocazio,

Just don't take your chickens onto the New York Subway,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9P6sG35f2U&feature=related laugh

Reminds me of my subway ride this morning, a little. A few of those in my car did not behave like regular subway riders, they were tourists.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 661 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.