Hey MoBOB,

For packs, I would prioritize the access to water wether it is in the form of a bladder or bottle pockets both make it easy to stay hydrated on the move. I have been hiking without them and noticed I never drank until I was thirsty (typically meaning moderate dehydration) because I had to take my pack off to drink and then put it back on to continue it was a hassle.

On the hikes I have used packs with either a bladder or side bottle pockets I noticed I drank more and didn't have to take as many breaks, allowing me to cover more ground in a day. Making your priorities (like water) an easy task allows much easier traveling. Personal recommendation: get both...I never depend on bladders as my sole water carrier. One little hole and you're out of business.

On another note: deciding what to pack first is a good strategy. I am guilty of buying a huge pack and then deciding what I want to take second. When you have room to spare you end up putting more on your back than you intended (60-80lbs instead of 30-40lbs). It is nice to have room in your pack for extra food and clothing but that extra room is always enticing to fill with "gear" instead (e.g. I already have two knives but I better pack a multitool...just in case).

Cheers,
Nemo.