Originally Posted By: Dan_McI
Originally Posted By: BobS
I never bought into the idea of gold investing as any value if our whole economy tanks. You can’t eat gold, you can’t heat your home with it. I don’t see it having much trade value with others. Food and useful supplies are good trade items. When things go south, how would one go about trading or bartering with gold? A few ounces of gold, is not worth as much as $15.00 worth of ravioli or other can goods to a person with a hungry family. Who knows, I may be wrong, but I don’t think so.

Should gold be of little value and trading food as you describe is something that's done, and this occurs solely because the economy has failed, then the economy will have really failed totally.

I hope I never see such days.

So long as there is an ecomony, and we still use dollars, I think gold will have value.

Gold is valuable only as long as people believe it is. How would you trade with it in a situation like Katrina if it went on for any time.

Lets say you had 1-oz of it. I don’t see a way to trade with a $1000.00 bill (Gold is going for about that right now) for food or supplies. Also how does the other person know it’s real or pure or for that matter even worth what you say it is? They don’t.

Food, a Coleman stove & fuel, shampoo, toilet paper, and hundreds of other item would be a better thing to barter with then gold.

I think with gold you would have to trade it at a substantial loss in a barter system. If you are hungry and so is your wife & kids, you will trade that $1000.00 piece of metal for $100.00 in food and a few supplies. Why not just buy the food now and save the $900.00 loss?

Most of us here prepare ahead of time, but most people don’t and to a hungry cold wet person that has no place to go and a family, food, a stove & fuel and a tent and a few blankets would be worth it’s weight in Gold…

Edited by BobS (03/17/08 07:21 PM)

You can run, but you'll only die tired.