Hi Dan,

Is this a question of caching where or caching what? or both?

On the "what to cache" perspective:
Since this is long term you will want to look at your nutritional requirements. Requirements missing from your cache list above are water, fat and micronutrients (vitamins and minerals). Water is absoultely critical if you are going to store freeze dried meals or dry grains. DR has some recommendations on that here.

A bottle of multivitamins can cover most deficiencies in micronutrients in your diet but fat is a problem. Fat goes rancid/toxic relatively fast (approx 1 year storage if the ideal conditions are met) and has to be rotated relatively frequently.

Other considerations, if you go to the time and expense of cacheing supplies you may as well provide something to cook on/with and a clone of your bug out gear. Again see Doug Ritter's advice here. If you end up not needing the extra gear in an emergency you can always trade/barter with it or give it to a poorly prepared friend/relative.

I read a great couple posts recently on a similar topic by a favorite blogger of mine:
1. Food storage 101
2. Food storage 101 part 2
3. Eating out of your pantry

Check it out and see if it helps with the "what" aspect. On the "where" I'm sure there are some military folks here on the forum that would have a better answer to that question. All I can think of is a trusted rural relative or a secure mini storage facility... although both of those options may not be ideal for you.

Good luck!
Cheers,
Nemo.

Edited by Nemo (03/07/08 06:08 PM)