I have also considered the Cold Steel Kukri but they are expensive and most of the time I would not want to carry one as they are quite large, so grab peoples attention. I have a hatchet but never really carry it because of the weight. Unless I know that I will need to do some heavy chopping I just carry a good pocket saw and sheath knife as I have found that that combination works better for me. With my pocket saw I can cut through any small trees or branches much quicker than with a chopping implement. This may be just because I have limited experience with an ax though.

The main problem I foresee with the pocket saw is that the blade is thin and therefore prone to getting bent. I bent the blade on a Buckmaster(the Buckmaster's blade is thinner than the Buck's), but after straitening it it works fine again. I just do not know how long it will last. Also the file for sharpening them is expensive and delicate.

My personal leaning is toward the Kukri or one of the other similar knives, so some day I will probably either buy or make one.

I also plan to get a copy of Bushcraft by Mors L. Kochanski as Mr. Ritter says he has good information on using an ax.

I hope this helps a little bit.

Zechariah