The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#125357 - 02/26/08 09:10 PM Re: simple backpack question. [Re: dweste]
mtnhiker Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Nevada,USA
Nighthiker is on the right track. I was wondering if a pack should have a little room left over in it for those "what if' scenarios. In which case I need to go up from a 1500cu.in. to something a little larger.

#125374 - 02/26/08 10:38 PM Re: simple backpack question. [Re: SHawk]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: SHawk
Hi All, A question I find useful after every trip "Did I use ___item" If after several trips I havn't needed it consider leaving it home.

To some extent this is useful. However, I've found that there IS core gear, such as rain gear. I've been on 10-day trips where there's no rain. But, you know what happens at 8,000 feet- that 70-deggree summer day drops to 40, lightening acts up, and suddenly everyone without raingear is hypothermic (happened before). So I carry it.

On the other hand, I've found that 3 pairs of underwear and socks, and 1 pair of pants, is plenty for that time frame(oh, don't fret. I run around in boxers while my pants dry)

In terms of a day-pack, food is usually the item I've found most useless, then a fixed blade knife.

#125390 - 02/27/08 12:20 AM Re: simple backpack question. [Re: mtnhiker]
Joseph13 Offline
Journeyman

mtnlvr68,

(I hope none of you take this the wrong way!)

I am not encouraging anyone to carry more stuff. However, some of my kit is in compartamentalized bags inside the main pack. While I do leave a little room, depending on ammount of clothing for expected weather, the organizer bags my types of gear are in can easily be emptied into my pack and/or pockets, thus giving me more space to pack once I attach the organizaer bag to the exterior of my pack. Once I have setup an exterior atachment system for one of the bags, the 550 cord used is put into the organizer pouch for storage.

One example of needing more space.
So, If I am Hiking and suddenly become disgusted with all the trash others have neglected to packout, I have the needed space to clean up a little. (the trash bags I carry for emergency ponchos can still be used as trash bags too!)

#125425 - 02/27/08 12:36 PM Re: simple backpack question. [Re: Joseph13]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
Originally Posted By: Joseph13

One example of needing more space.
So, If I am Hiking and suddenly become disgusted with all the trash others have neglected to packout, I have the needed space to clean up a little.

happy to hear i'm not alone in this category.

#125467 - 02/27/08 06:56 PM Re: simple backpack question. [Re: NightHiker]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

One option...and it's a compromise no doubt...is to buy a large pack but one which is light for its size and has many compression options (straps, elastic, removable 'day pack' sections, etc.). You'd still have the big maximum space, but wouldn't have to carry a big, heavy floppy, 1/2 empty pack.

The thing I hate most about carrying my 60L pack is the pack! Once it's on my back and strapped in it's fine even if overloaded. If it's not full enough, it's floppy and doesn't feel right. If it's overfull it's hard to get onto my back by myself...and there's no way I'll get any of that stuff out without taking it off again.

The day that I can go into the bush for a weekend with a small pack (35L or less) and still have everything I need, will be a VERY happy day...I'm working on it but still nowhere close. smile

#125490 - 02/27/08 09:39 PM Re: simple backpack question. [Re: ]
mtnhiker Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Nevada,USA
Thanks guys for the advice! I think I will take you up on it and just move into the larger pack.... I got another fight coming I can see it now!! ("there's room now for this and it dont weigh much")

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 413 Guests and 79 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.