Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#125279 - 02/26/08 12:33 AM simple backpack question.
mtnhiker Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Nevada,USA
This may sound like a stupid question but it is drivivng me crazy!~!!
I do alot of hiking 3 seasons out of the year. Since I have joined this forum I have obtained a few more items I now consider as part of my "essential core kit" (go figure) which has filled my pack (Camelbak rim runner 1500cu.in.) to the point that(with my other normal hiking gear)there is absolutely no room for anything else. I have another pack that is considered a day pack that is 2500 cu. in. when I put my gear in this one there is plenty of room to spare but it feels so much bigger and bulkier than I am used to and seems like overkill. SOOOO ... Do I need some extra space in my pack or is it ok to have a pack with no available space left when hiking.

#125285 - 02/26/08 01:19 AM Re: simple backpack question. [Re: mtnhiker]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
It's fine to have a pack with no space. Rule of thumb is you tend to pack till you fill something... the other option is to just reevaluate everything you pack. I was on a hike this weekend and decided I'd packed way too much (partly cuz my gf was there too). In reality, a fanny pack would have been fine.

#125293 - 02/26/08 01:55 AM Re: simple backpack question. [Re: MDinana]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
Originally Posted By: MDinana
Rule of thumb is you tend to pack till you fill something...

i agree, nature abhors a vacuum!

my 1,500cc was too small, in light of the water i sometimes need to carry for a day hike - so i got a 2,000cc that holds twice the water and had more room for more stuff. now it's full again! go figure..

this could be me: my pack

Edited by bsmith (02/26/08 01:57 AM)

#125296 - 02/26/08 02:33 AM Re: simple backpack question. [Re: bsmith]
mtnhiker Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Nevada,USA
LMAO!!! Thats exactly what I am affraid of!! And then thinking it is all essential gear to have for a day hike..

#125300 - 02/26/08 02:46 AM Re: simple backpack question. [Re: mtnhiker]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Backpacks and paychecks

You will always find things to fill up a bigger backpack, bigger pack = more stuff to carry.

Just as you will always find things to spend your paycheck on, bigger paycheck = more stuff you buy.

I think it’s a law of nature?

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#125301 - 02/26/08 02:50 AM Re: simple backpack question. [Re: mtnhiker]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

That's funny. I'm always trying to leave space in my pack. When I go hiking it never fails that one of my buddies has a heavy pack. We'll usually distribute our gear more evenly...why make the guy with the 60lb pack suffer and slow everybody else down. If I can put a part of a tent, some pots, or whatever in my pack and even things up, the whole trip will be easier and everybody will have more fun.

Also, It's common practice with search and rescue to leave 20% of your pack free for 'team gear'. If I show up with a drum tight pack to a search or even to a training exercise, then have to carry 100 feet of rope and some carabiners or extra first aid equipment as my share of my load, I have to ditch stuff to do it. That takes up valuable time and I might, in my haste, leave behind something important without thinking.

#125314 - 02/26/08 04:35 AM Re: simple backpack question. [Re: NightHiker]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
I am not sure I follow the thread of this discusion. Are you discussing whether or not it is a sin to have a pack that is not jammed full of gear?

Is this a stealth discussion of best back-packing practices?

Edited by dweste (02/26/08 04:36 AM)

#125340 - 02/26/08 04:45 PM Re: simple backpack question. [Re: mtnhiker]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Don’t worry. It all balances out… Usually right after you start asking yourself those preparedness what-ifs like “What if I get stuck in a survival situation and I don’t have my pack?”

Suddenly your pack becomes much lighter because you start sticking your essential gear in your newly purchased belt pouches. Then you move on to other preparedness what-ifs like “What if I’m not wearing pants?”

#125342 - 02/26/08 05:09 PM Re: simple backpack question. [Re: JCWohlschlag]
Jackal Offline

Loc: cornwall UK
erk my back pack is to big 120lt bergan. bobs are the smaller other arms version smile

#125346 - 02/26/08 06:05 PM Re: simple backpack question. [Re: JCWohlschlag]
SHawk Offline
Stranger

Loc: Central Washington
Hi All, A question I find useful after every trip "Did I use ___item" If after several trips I havn't needed it consider leaving it home. In my opinion a survival kit is just that, it helps you survive, you may not be comfortable, but you should carry enough gear to make survival likely. An exception is seasonal clothing, always dress or have available clothing for the worst possible (expected) conditions. Old norweigen proverb "There is no bad weather, just bad clothing". Another "Clothing is the 'shelter' you walk around in".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (UncleGoo), 404 Guests and 60 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.