The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#125227 - 02/25/08 06:05 PM esbit tabs or pepsi can stove
bigmothertrucker Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Alberta
I have a rapter stove for civi use. I use a peak 1 at work as well as the coleman 2 burner stoves and lamps. other than that for small scale we use yukon stoves when it gets really cold. everything else that cooks or requires heat is a static setup which requires a generator. the peak 1 is given to us as a section stove to be used by a group of people at small level. the individual troop gets esbit type tabs which are used in the canteen cup cooker. some troops carry a peak 1 camping/hiking out side of army life etc because they are so used to using one at work. tarus for example. plus he can get free parts so I guess there is an upside. I hate the dammed stove due to its size for humping around and switched to the raptor. as a sup or replacement to esbit tabs I was looking at those pepsi can style stoves that I could make myself. this would sup both my civi and army gear in places where even the raptor may be too much to carry.

someone here must have used these a lot. my question is.

are they better than esbit tabs for the same ammount of weight? how long do they burn using a full tank of fuel? does the alcohol burn as long as an esbit? How bright is the flame from the stove from a tactical point of view? does it give off a terrible stench and muck up the bottom of the canteen cup like the tabs do. etc etc

I was considering putting a small pepsi can stove in my TAC gear to replace the esbit tabs and maybe one in my hiking gear for summer use but I am undecided which will be better.

anyone have feed back? Thanks

#125232 - 02/25/08 06:51 PM Re: esbit tabs or pepsi can stove [Re: bigmothertrucker]
jaywalke Offline

Loc: Appalachian mountains
I hop back and forth between various small alcohol stoves and Esbit tabs for hiking. To be honest, there is not much difference weight-wise on anything but the longest trips.

I use one Esbit tab (.5 oz) to boil two cups of water, and about .4 oz of alcohol to do the same. So, if you cook twice a day and are out for 80 days (and measure more carefully than me) you'll save a pound! Each has it's advantages, assuming other factors are the same (lidded pot, windscreen, etc.)

Smell: alcohol wins. Every kind has additives, but none of it smells as bad as Esbit.

Mess: alcohol wins again. Some small sticky spots occasionally, but nothing like the mess Esbit makes.

Storage: Esbit wins. I leave it in my kit all the time without worrying about leaking, evaporation, or ignition.

Ease of use: tie. Esbit tabs are a pain to light, and alcohol stoves need measuring and pouring and priming. With just a bit of practice it all becomes second nature. Alcohol does create less trash to carry.

Adaptability for cooking: alcohol wins. If a recipe needs more than 2 cups, I can adjust a bit. It won't boil quarts of water at a time, though. The burn time for .4 oz. is about the same as an Esbit tab, but doubling that does not give you double the time. It's longer, yes, but you also get BIG flame blasting up alongside the pot (and weird looks from fellow campers) which blows your efficiency. They are optimized for the 2 cup burn, but 3 is within reach.

Other uses: Esbit wins. It's a fantastic fire-starter.

Brightness: alcohol is not bright at all. In fact the flame is invisible in daylight. Wave your hand well above the stove to see if it's lit.

I've used the Photon style of Pepsi-can stove for years because I know Photon. He measures the hyphen in anal-retentive, so I know that he's done everything possible to make the best possible stove, including trying to get it to blow up (without success). They are also fun to make. Recently I've been unfaithful with the White Box Stove (use Ebay), which really works well and saves weight due to no need for a pot support.

This is alky stove central: http://zenstoves.net/Stoves.htm

Hope this helps.

Jaywalke

#125235 - 02/25/08 07:03 PM Re: esbit tabs or pepsi can stove [Re: bigmothertrucker]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I tried making a Pepsi can stove and a Red bull can stove. It's supposed to be easy but I got too frustrated and bought a Vargo Titanium for $30. Pretty much the same design internally. To each his own...I'm lazy and live 4 blocks from a Mountain Equipment Coop smile

I've done controlled comparisons in my kitchen and found the Vargo filled as recommended is very comparable to a single Military Esbit tab. The only main difference seems to be burn time between stoves and tablets with slight differences in efficiency between brands from what I've seen.

My personal observations can be summed up as follows:

Esbit:
  • Great ratio of space and weight to energy produced.
  • Fairly easy to light but you need to know the tricks
  • Smell like fish
  • Leave residue on your pots and cooker
  • Technically can be blown out and reused even if messy to do so.
  • Easy to pop in an extra tab if one isn't enough.

Alcohol Stove (Vargo in my case):
  • Can use gas line antifreeze or Everclear as fuel in a pinch
  • Very efficient fuel wise
  • Low BTU output but comparable to Hexamine IMO
  • Burns clean with no residue, soot, etc.
  • Burns quiet
  • Flame is not bright and barely gives off a bit of blue at night.
  • Easy to spill when filling (fuel is toxic and shouldn't get on your skin ideally)

I've posted about my Vargo many times on this site and commented on posts made by others. I took the liberty of digging up my ramblings (plus a few extras) and linking the posts. You might especially be interested in the comparison I did between the Vargo stove and a Hexamine tablet. It was an inferior brand compared to the military style ones I use these days but still an interesting comparison if I do say so myself smile

http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=113624&fpart=1
http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=116245&fpart=1
http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=108713&fpart=1
http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.ph...=true#Post89264
http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.ph...=true#Post55481
http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.ph...=true#Post45089

If you search 'Vargo' or 'Stove' or even 'pepsi can' you'll find tons of posts on this forum on just about every stove there is. You might want to search out Blasts post about the woodgas stove he built...pretty cool stuff.

#125244 - 02/25/08 08:20 PM Re: esbit tabs or pepsi can stove [Re: ]
jaywalke Offline

I tried a Vargo and didn't like it. The fact that the container is not sealed around the edges makes it noticably less efficient. The sealed edges on the Photon (or other pressurized stoves design) forces the alcohol vapor out the jets under high pressure. It really roars once it's primed, and the Vargo just whimpered for me.

A filled Vargo is also 1oz or more of alcohol, so it's doing less with more.

If you want to make a Photon stove, a Dremel tool with a .022 or .025 inch bit (15 cents at a hobby shop) makes all the difference between "That was easy," and a desire to stomp the can flat.

Edited by jaywalke (02/25/08 08:24 PM)

#125247 - 02/25/08 08:40 PM Re: esbit tabs or pepsi can stove [Re: jaywalke]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I'll give you that. A pressurized design is hotter and more efficient than the open jet style of the Vargo. Each style of alcohol stove has their pros and cons. The Vargo doesn't need a priming pan like the photon stove does for example.

On a side note I just realized that the cup in my Crusader stove would be an ideal priming pan...maybe I should buy a similar stove and give it a try?

I just realized that the Vargo IS a pressurized jet type stove according to zenstoves.net

Edited by Hacksaw (02/25/08 08:48 PM)

#125248 - 02/25/08 08:41 PM Re: esbit tabs or pepsi can stove [Re: jaywalke]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
I've been considering the alcohol thing myself. Go to www.minibulldesigns.com and look at his stoves. "Tinny" has some pretty cool stuff. His prices look reasonable. I am in no affiliated personally or professionally with the aforementioned enterprise.

Edited by MoBOB (02/25/08 09:17 PM)

#125254 - 02/25/08 09:38 PM Re: esbit tabs or pepsi can stove [Re: ]
jaywalke Offline

Originally Posted By: Hacksaw

I just realized that the Vargo IS a pressurized jet type stove according to zenstoves.net

A little JB weld around the outside seam would make it moreso! If you tried it, you also might want to consider the penny trick: put a penny over the center fill hole. It ups the pressure more, but will flip out of the way if it gets too high.

#125256 - 02/25/08 09:58 PM Re: esbit tabs or pepsi can stove [Re: jaywalke]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I'm not sure what you mean by the outside seam. My Vargo is sealed except for the jet holes and the fill hole.

The Penny seems like a great trick though.

I just did some Googling and I think the older models were 2 piece where the newer ones are one piece...unless the older ones are one piece wink . Either way mine is definitely one piece.

Edited by Hacksaw (02/25/08 10:12 PM)

#125258 - 02/25/08 10:25 PM Re: esbit tabs or pepsi can stove [Re: ]
bigmothertrucker Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Alberta
Thanks for all the info, now I am getting somewhere.

I tried some searches but the computer at work doesent wish to co-op with my efforts.

The problem we are facing is that the Army is begining to shy away from issuing the canteen cup and thus the esbit tabs to be replaced by the hydration packs. I still will carry some means to boil water. even a small tin cup and some means to boil water. the issued camel baks are ultra nice but there is no way in hell I can boil coffee in one. when I wake up after spending another night in a stupid trench during another training exercise and have no way to make coffee it may be a matter of someone elses survival. thats why I want to explore the possibility of a small pop can stove. I will take my chances with the rancid water but I will come un-glued if I dont get a coffee.

hacksaw. you mentioned you tested military tabs. waht kind? are they the same as what we get issued I wonder? the issued ones are a little flat and often need to be doubled up but they are free I guess.

I was also wondering about how durable that vargo stove is. I dont think the pop can will stand up to being carried in a TAC but the vargo looks a little tougher. Blasts stove looks top shelf for the bottom of a cold trench when light disipline is at a lower level but a bit large to carry.

#125260 - 02/25/08 10:38 PM Re: esbit tabs or pepsi can stove [Re: bigmothertrucker]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

They're Canadian military surplus.

I haven't torture tested the stove but it's made of Titanium and when I was prying the legs off of it with a pair of pliers and the can opener off my Swiss Army Knife, it didn't flex or complain once...I'd be willing to guess I could stand on it with little to no ill effects. Filing the burrs off with an axe file was quite a challenge too...Titanium is tough stuff! The bottom is slightly domed outwards as well which would add quite a bit of strength.

An unmodified one can be flipped upside down to use as a Esbit tab stove (the legs and the pot stand are identical top and bottom). Officially Vargo doesn't support that use but I've heard it works well. I haven't tried because I have the canteen stove and don't want to muck up my Vargo too much if I don't have to.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Phaedrus), 323 Guests and 53 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Anoher rescue, this time of a well-prepared hiker
by Ren
Yesterday at 01:13 PM
bacpacjac
by Herman30
07/04/24 11:36 AM
How 5 Fishermen Survived...Carried a PLB!
by roberttheiii
07/02/24 02:51 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
07/02/24 01:45 AM
Lost in Northern California Mountains for 10 Days
by Ren
06/25/24 08:36 PM
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by Eugene
06/25/24 06:46 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/23/24 06:12 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.