Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#124005 - 02/16/08 12:15 AM Orange handle MK3 ( pics )
sicily02 Offline

Hi all I contacted Greg Haugh of lone rider custom grips and asked him if he would be interested in making some orange handle scales for my MK3 knife. Greg said he could do them in G-10. I sent him my knife and in a couple of weeks it was done. Here are a couple of pics. One of just the knife and then the other of it attached to one of my shoulder sling kits

Bryan

Edited by sicily02 (02/16/08 02:12 AM)

#124007 - 02/16/08 12:42 AM Re: Orange handle MK3 ( pics ) [Re: sicily02]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Beautiful handle!

My order for the orange Mk3 handle is still in with Aeromedix.com. I'm waiting patiently ... kind of.

#124022 - 02/16/08 04:03 AM Re: Orange handle MK3 ( pics ) [Re: ]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Why Orange?

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#124030 - 02/16/08 12:53 PM Re: Orange handle MK3 ( pics ) [Re: BobS]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
To make it easier to find if dropped or misplaced. Did you ever see the Survivorman where he misplaced the camera lens? It happens.

#124058 - 02/16/08 07:24 PM Re: Orange handle MK3 ( pics ) [Re: KenK]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Cool deal.

IMHO important pieces of gear benefit from being a bright and easy to spot color. If you drop your knife or compass you have to be able to find it.

While I do appreciate not standing out too much I am leery about people getting too 'tactical'. Sometimes it get ridiculous as I see knives offered with camouflaged handles and blades and camouflage flashlights. Why? Evidently they sell. Why don't people think these things through and realize that this sort of coloration is just asking for trouble in the field?

I was along for the ride when a friend I was camping with dropped his camouflaged wallet in the middle of the woods as the sun was going down. We spent thirty minutes on hands and knees before we found it by feel. After that it is bright orange wallets for him.

#124195 - 02/18/08 07:26 AM Re: Orange handle MK3 ( pics ) [Re: sicily02]
Joseph13 Offline
Journeyman

Bryan,

The handele looks awsome.

When I used to work in "Bar and Night-club security" everyone had black flashlights until I started carrying a silver one. Man it is easy to see one in the corner with little to no light. So, I guess we are alot more visually oriented than most people realize.

Does the new handel feel simmilar to the factory one?

Joe

#124239 - 02/18/08 05:07 PM Re: Orange handle MK3 ( pics ) [Re: sicily02]
sicily02 Offline

Joseph13 Yes the handles feel great it is out of G-10. I really like it. I also have silver flashlights on all my shoulder kits like in the picture attached to the water bottle holder. Silver is great color to have in case you drop it and have to go look for it just like the orange handle knife. I am planning on starting to make my own knives and will be using orange G-10 on them also. I just have to get a couple of more things and will be up and running in a couple of weeks. ( hopefuly ) I will be posting pics as soon as I get the knives done. I cut trees for my living and am in the timber alot and really being able to see
where you leave your tools at is pretty important. Like my chainsaws are bright ornage too. It makes them easyer to see
in the timber. So yes we are visually oriented.

KenK your answer was right on incase you drop your knife it will be so much easyer to see when you go to look for it.

IzzyJG99 I have not seen the buck you are referinng to.

Take care all

Bryan

#125148 - 02/25/08 01:51 AM Re: Orange handle MK3 ( pics ) [Re: ]
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Loc: Arizona
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Looks identical to this Buck that's sold at Wal-Mart for 19.95.

The only knife I can figure you are referring to is one of the Buck Diamondback fixed blades. While I am sure that they are decent knives for the price, I will stick with my Mk3.

The Handles look great! I too am a fan of bright colored gear... "Does it come in yellow or orange" was my mantra at SHOT Show this year laugh

#125153 - 02/25/08 02:40 AM Re: Orange handle MK3 ( pics ) [Re: sicily02]
sicily02 Offline

Alan if there is a yellow colored type G-10 or wood I sure
Greg Haugh could make them for you.

I gotta tell ya the more I use my MK-3 with the orange handles the more I like it this way. It just seems to be more what I would think of a survival knife should be like. When I set it down it sure is easyer to see it.

I had another set made at the same time because I had planed on ordering another MK-3, But about a month back I met a custom knife maker that lives here in the same neck of woods that I live in and he has been showing my how knives are made and is also helping me get my own knife making shop up and running so I can make my own knives. So I have some plans for that other set of handles.

Take care,
Bryan

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 636 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.