Topic Options
#12499 - 02/02/03 07:48 PM New toys
Anonymous
Unregistered

Kit contents

3- Needles
1- Heavy-duty garbage bag
1- Spark-light w/t tinder
1- Container (British lifeboat matches/NATO)
2- Containers of water purification tabs (Potable aqua)
1- Small L.E.D light
1- Premium Commando saw
1- P-38
1- Box opener (w/t 2 blades) 3- Razor knife blades
1- 1 ft fish tank tube
1- Vial *Benadril (Hint- Perfume sample bottles have Teflon caps)
2- Vial Aspirin
1- Packet 3 in 1 antibiotic ointment
3- Bobbins w/t 20 lb spider wire
4- Band-Aids
5- Butterfly sutures
1- Packet providone- iodine ointment
1- 2 ft by 2 ft heavy duty foil
1- Condom (will replace w/t better water container sometime)
2- Coffee filters (For straining water of nasty bugs)
1- Jet scream whistle
1- 2 by 3 star-flash mirror (taped to back of container)
1- Vial salt
1- 3 1/2 foot small gauge copper wire
1- Marbles Brass compass
1- Small magnifying glass
1- Fishing kit (kit is shrink wrapped)

4-small hooks
4-20 lb snap swivels with leader
2-small silver lures
2-Small gold Lures
4-Small treble hooks

Kit is contained in a Standard *Otter Box w/t 25 ft of 550 cord as a lanyard.
Tight fit but seems comprehensive (Home-made tinder takes up the small little nooks and crannies) S.O.S. signals and survival tips are attached to the inside bottom of the kit and looks very professional. I was considering using cats eye tape on the inside top lid for illuminating interior at night and reflective mirror tape on the outside bottoms to replace mirror to save bulk. I would appreciate any ideas about the construction or contents. I wonder if the 8-inch by 10-inch mirror tape bottoms would be as effective as the 2 by 3 star flash?

Partial list of my B.O.B

2- 3 day Mainstay Rations
3- M.R.E. Main courses
1- Titanium cook kit (can be replaced with GI canteen kit if needed)
1- M.S.R.wisperlight stove W/T small bottle and large
1- Esbit stove with 8 fuel tabs
1- G.I. poncho
1- Poncho liner
1- Gerber Mark II
1- Leatherman Wave
1- Glock shovel
1- Nagalene bottle
1- Water bladder
1- Springfield survival rifle W/T Aimpoint
1- Ruger .22 pistol with heavy barrel
1- 0 degree sleeping bag (Coleman) cheap heavy
1- 10 by 10 Tyvek ground cloth
2- Pretzel led light
1- Candle lantern
1- Survival Net
1- 50 ft hank of 550 cord
4- Thompson snare wires

I would like to say that for a cheap bag (under $100 U.S.) the Coleman has been adequate, after have been sleeping in it for two months and it has never left me cold in weather above 22 deg. By no means is it an extreme bag but it has not come apart anywhere. The Western Mountaineering Antelope rated at 10 degrees is my favorite (down, light, warm…. did I sat light? 2.9 lbs) under $350 U.S. I have found this bag to be a great investment.

My unscientific testing of both bags in extremely cold weather. Upper Midwest winter nights in the Red River valley fluctuate between zero degrees and 15 below. I gauge my bag on how many times it is necessary to use my Wisperlight stove in a Mega-mid tent to warm up during the night.

Coleman – Every hour in a half w/o vapor barrier Every 3 hour’s w/t
also have used poncho liner inside bag to help.
Western Mountaineering Antelope- Never been cold enough to warrant a warm up but vapor barrier is necessary.

Snow caving I use a vapor barrier and a bivy sack on both bags. This helps a lot. For a vapor barrier, I use an emergency bivy. Cheap and works great, $20 bucks compared to $78 for the high tech Hot Sack . I have also found that if I stack a lot of carbs, we’re talking 600 to 700 before sleeping on the extreme nights, my eyelids freeze shut but I’m toasty warm. Welcome to the North American Siberia.
In conclusion, the amount of Carbohydrates before sleeping is the most important variable to consider when faced with extreme cold. A cheap bag works fine if you have fuel, be it food or fire. Unfortunately, with the heavier bag, you expend more calories carrying it around and then your cold from lack of food. It seems logical to carry more food and a lighter bag. The down is lighter and leaves more room for more food. The old adage, “You get what you pay for” is true when it comes to sleeping bags.

P.S.

I just received the RTAK from Ontario knifes; Wow this is one big knife! Usually I’m in no need of a knife this large, but hey, we all need toys. I bought this one after trying out a friends, and the cut down machete I usually use was starting to get a little thin in the blade. The finish on the blade is very nice and the Micarta handle is top shelf. The sheath leaves some to be desired, unfortunately the attachment point is too high on the scabbard and it flops around, but hey but for 89.00 bucks this is the best I have seen as far as large knifes go. The sheath also has a nice pocket that a P.S.K. fits in perfect. The blade came shaving sharp and a couple of swipes with a stone, and as Yoda would say “really sharp it became Luke.”I like it. For testing I used a piece of oak about 4”x 4” the wood flew and the blade stayed sharp without a dent. The feel was excellent, no vibration, no bounce, just a thud like an axe. I also receive the spark light and a set of Thomson self-locking snares. Oh yea and a speed hook for Crappie. I like the spark light, so small and light. I can retire my magnesium bar to a different kit now. I just wish I was somewhere with lots of sun and bamboo and maybe some grass skirts.

#12500 - 02/03/03 12:08 AM Re: New toys
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
Where did you find the best deals on your stuff? I am looking for, I wish one, but a few places to buy this stuff, including a wire saw, spark-lite fire starter, NATO water/wind proof matches, snare wire, parachute cord, waterproof paper. Thanks.

John

#12501 - 02/03/03 12:52 AM Re: New toys
Anonymous
Unregistered

One place? Try Brigade Quartermasters at www.actiongear.com. They have a complete (and fun) catalog.

~Wesley

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 617 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.