Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#124814 - 02/22/08 02:39 PM Skiing?? What to carry??
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
I am going skiing in a few days in the Tetons and have read enough stories about people lost and freezing, and I simply will not do anything to get out of bounds. However I'm also not one to go off with nothing in my pocket just-in-case, the question I have is what would you put in your pockets for a normal day of skiing in a skiing area, that has lots of people around.

My stuff is probably going to consist of:

1 SAK Farmer;
1 mini Bic lighter;
1 Spark-Lite;
1-2 Granola bars or some other bar;
1 space blanket;
1 Motorola Q phone;
1 tube of a petroleum jelly product; and
a couple wads of cotton.

I don't want a bunch of stuff that is hard in my pockets, and often am not fond of having the phone. A knife, I never like to be without one, but when skiing, I don't like having it sometimes.

Since I will be skiing in a rather populated area, during ski season, I think my biggest battle would be keeping myself warm, should I be forced to spend extended time outdoors. A fire and some shelter should be able to see me through a night in my ski clothes, hopefully without needing to dry out. If I could start a fire, I don't think it would go unnoticed for long in the Tetons.

Comments? Anything else you'd bring? Anything you'd think better left behind?

#124816 - 02/22/08 03:13 PM Re: Skiing?? What to carry?? [Re: Dan_McI]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca

how about a signal mirror?

#124817 - 02/22/08 03:15 PM Re: Skiing?? What to carry?? [Re: bsmith]
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
Don't forget a whistle... and a compass... even a button style.

#124825 - 02/22/08 04:25 PM Re: Skiing?? What to carry?? [Re: Dan_McI]
PackRat Offline
Journeyman

I carry a small pack that rides high on my back so that it allows me to sit comfortably on the chair lift.

One of the biggest problems that I have encountered is being on the chair lift when it breaks down. It can take hours to evacuate a lift and you are very exposed and unable to move to generate heat or start a fire.

In addition to what you have listed in the pack I carry:
- Thermos of hot chocolate
- High calorie food like chocolate
- Down Vest or Down Jacket
- Wind breaker if not already wearing a shell
- Balaclava
- Warm mitts
- Space blanket/Bag (I prefer a bag with the foot end cut out so that you can pull it over your head and down around your legs while wearing ski's on a lift and not have it flapping in the wind)
- Goggles
- Sun Screen
- Cell phone and sometimes a radio if skiing in a group

I usually put toe warmers in my boots at the start of the day as it is difficult to place them in a boot if you are on a chair lift

edit:
I used to carry a small foam pad to sit on but most modern chair lifts are well padded which provides good insulation.

Edited by PackRat (02/22/08 04:27 PM)

#124830 - 02/22/08 04:39 PM Re: Skiing?? What to carry?? [Re: PackRat]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Snacks.

I've been stuck on a chair lift too and it sucks.

#124835 - 02/22/08 04:46 PM Re: Skiing?? What to carry?? [Re: Dan_McI]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
Several copies of the trail map to keep me inside the ski area.
Making a wrong turn and descending into a "dead end" drainage is the usual reason for lost skiers at ski resorts.
Only leave the trails if you know where you are going.

That said for a day of resort skiing I would have;
SAK Farmer
Mini Bic
Quick tinder in my wallet
Photo freedom on keys.
That is about it.

Out of bounds and BC skiing is a full on survival scenario so I would have a bunch more gear.
Bill

#124847 - 02/22/08 05:31 PM Re: Skiing?? What to carry?? [Re: billym]
riprater Offline
Stranger

When I ski, I always have a Leatherman Charge on me. Great for adjusting bindings and it has a wood saw. I keep a K&M match case with Rei matches inside. The button compass on the case is a backup to my Suunto Vector watch. A thin balaclava fits easily in a pocket and I can wear it under my helmet if the temps start to drop. A thin pair of glove liners helps as well. A large garbage bag takes up little space in a pocket and is invaluable for emergency shelter--on a lift or not. I usually have some pop tarts as well as
a lexan flask with water (more ergonomical to fit in a pocket and can be easily refilled if you are inbounds.) A thin Fox whistle goes on a ski pass lanyard around my neck. If I ski out of bounds--thats a totally different story and gear list. I dislike people talking on their cell phones on the lift next to me, but they are very useful to call ski patrol...

#124849 - 02/22/08 05:36 PM Re: Skiing?? What to carry?? [Re: riprater]
riprater Offline
Stranger

Also, I usually wrap a few feet of duct tape around a ski pole...

#124858 - 02/22/08 06:37 PM Re: Skiing?? What to carry?? [Re: riprater]
PackRat Offline
Journeyman

In addition to duct tape I also wrap fiberglass tape around the pole.

The fiberglass tape is very strong and when combined with duct tape you can tape your boot to your ski if you break a binding and hobble out if required.

#124865 - 02/22/08 07:18 PM Re: Skiing?? What to carry?? [Re: PackRat]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Originally Posted By: PackRat
In addition to duct tape I also wrap fiberglass tape around the pole.

The fiberglass tape is very strong and when combined with duct tape you can tape your boot to your ski if you break a binding and hobble out if required.

If I break a binding, I'm either walking down, sliding down on my rear, or, most likely, calling for help and riding something down, or a combination thereof.

I like the idea of a whistle, signal mirror and compass. I can do that in one swoop, if I take the Coghlan's 5-in-1 Survival Aid from my BOB. And I can add some warmers to my pockets.

Thanks to all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 460 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.