The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#123918 - 02/15/08 12:25 PM Re: Real bad drivers [Re: Tjin]
z96Cobra Offline
Stranger

Originally Posted By: PC2K
I'm not familiar with the trucks in the US, but in Europe all trucks are equipped with lowered bumpers on the back and sides, to prevent cars from getting under the truck. Letting a car bumper absorb the impact is way better than just a windscreen. Only few old trucks are left, without these devices.

The truck trailers here in the USA are the same way in the rear, but nothing on the sides (18 wheelers). The only problem is that, IMO, the second truck pushed the car under the first truck's trailer. As flat as the back of that car is, it had to have been hit in the rear by that truck. An impact like that would have easily pushed it through the bumper/bar of the front truck.

Roger

#123926 - 02/15/08 01:41 PM Re: Real bad drivers [Re: z96Cobra]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
The truck on the Ferrari seems like a pretty simple story to me. Some idiot drove his truck right into and through a closed garage door, and ended up on the Ferrari. I think you can see panels from the garage door on the back of the Ferrari. Why and/or how some idiot drove a truck at a hgih rate of speed into a garage door? That is not something I can tell you.

#123988 - 02/15/08 10:17 PM Re: Real bad drivers [Re: KG2V]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"Had to be the bloodiest wreck I ever saw..."

He had to practice driving to get his license. His father was with him and probably had been the one to teach him. What he obviously didn't teach him was to not pass on the right, not to pass on a hill, to anticipate trouble just out of sigh, and to slow down and to be in control of the car.

I'll bet that I don't even have to say what I'm thinking, do I?

Cynical Sue

#123989 - 02/15/08 10:17 PM Re: Real bad drivers [Re: Blast]
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SE PA
Pretty amazing stuff. I've been very lucky that in the 3/4 of million miles that I've driven over 40 years (mostly superhighways) I've only been past a few nasty accidents and never been in one. But I've seen my share of really bad drivers. For a while it was so bad that I installed a 'dash cam' in my car and recorded my trips figuring that if some idiot caused a pilup in front of me at least I could show the cops it wasn't my fault.

Some day I'm going to edit them out and post them on the web, and I won't obscur the license plate numbers.

#124003 - 02/16/08 12:08 AM Re: Real bad drivers [Re: Susan]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Originally Posted By: Susan
"Had to be the bloodiest wreck I ever saw..."

He had to practice driving to get his license. His father was with him and probably had been the one to teach him. What he obviously didn't teach him was to not pass on the right, not to pass on a hill, to anticipate trouble just out of sigh, and to slow down and to be in control of the car.

I'll bet that I don't even have to say what I'm thinking, do I?

Cynical Sue

Nope - "Darwin" - the two witnesses said the father probably didn't have time to yell at the kid - there was a T intersection there - the top of the T being where the kid/father truck were - the witness was waiting to make the left onto the stem of the T when the kid swerved around her to pass her on the shoulder. Kid was on the shoulder for maybe 5-10 car lengths before impact. The OTHER witness was the truck driver just climbing back into the truck after waling into the gas station to get a cup of coffee

Edit:
BTW they were going to life flight the kid out - we setup the LZ and all, but when the figured out the ETA of the Medivac, how long it would take to get him in the bird, and flown to the hospital, they realized they would actually get to the local trauma center (which did (does?) not have a landing spot) in the same amount of time or less, so he went by bus.

Took another 2-3 hours to jack up the back of the truck (the car it the rear axles hard enough to break them off the trailer) and get the father out If he had been alive, the team (my friend and the rest) said they would have just cut up the trailer - as it was, the jacked it up with airbags, cribbed it, and got a wrecker to slide what was left of the car out, and then cut the dad out. By that time, we were LONG gone - once the kid was in the bus, we hopped back in my friends car, our trip to the next town now canceled, and he went and cleaned up, and sat in the back yard and destressed for a while

Edited by kc2ixe (02/16/08 12:18 AM)
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 331 Guests and 75 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by chaosmagnet
Today at 11:34 AM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.