Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#12381 - 01/28/03 06:51 AM Blade requirements
Anonymous
Unregistered

I know i have posted similar before but i'm adament i will get a decent 3-4inch blade (full tang)

Can anyone advise of a blade of that spec which is available in the UK and comes in at around £100

Cheers

Mark

#12382 - 01/28/03 03:48 PM Re: Blade requirements
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you haven't found them yet, try the Fallkniven products. I bought an H1 from www.trekdirect.co.uk for around £75. It has a 4" blade, a hard Kraton handle and both the knife and sheath are built like tanks.

You might also like to consider the F1 and WM1 whcih are around the same size and a little cheaper.

I also have a Pat Mitchell Scout knife with a 3" blade - beautifully made, but a little more than you want to spend. You can see them on www.patmitchell.com.

If I could keep only one of these it would be the Fallkniven H1. The blade is superbly made and it feels like it will never let you down.

Edited by Toodlepip (01/28/03 03:50 PM)

#12383 - 01/28/03 08:11 PM Re: Blade requirements
dchinell Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: FL
You could look at the Camillus CUDA CQB Junior. A 4-inch blade, full tang, micarta handle. I own both small and large sizes. I'm not crazy about the ergonomics, but that's my personal take. You might think it's the best fit ever -- depends on your hand and musculature.

And I can totally recommend any of the Fallkniven knives, particularly the F1.

Bear

Edited by dchinell (01/28/03 08:13 PM)

#12384 - 01/29/03 05:26 AM Re: Blade requirements
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi MBRODW
I can highly recommend two sources for your blade require-
ments.Check out the Badger Attack 3 model available at
www.bussecombat.com or a Howling Rat model available at www.swampratknifeworks.com .I own several different models
from both companies-swamprat is actually a subsidiary of
Busse combat ,and its line of knives is more tailored to
people who like Busse knives but kind of balk at their
higher cost.Both knives are absolutely fantastic,though the
Badger Attack 3 might be too pricey for your budget-it doesn't hurt to look though!!I've dealt with this company
since 1993 and I can say that I would trust my life to either blade.I've bought a lot of blades in my life,some good ,some bad,but nothing can hold a candle to their products dollar for dollar.Their knives are tank tough,come
sharp as a razor,great edge holding,easy to re-sharpen and
they come with the best no B.S. warranty in the business.
IMHO and from personal experience,I would avoid any brand of
knife with a Kraton handle,prone to fail under hard use and
heat.Another plus to swamprat knifeworks website is they have a pretty good survival forum going on there too!Check
those websites out for yourself,no other companies that I
know about give you the information they do in regards to how they make their products,warranty,etc.Let me know what you think,I'm sure you wont be disappointed.Sorry about the
length of my first post here,but when somebody asks my opinion on knives,I've got to steer them to the best blades
on Earth-bar none.And no,I am not employed nor affiliated
with either company in any way if anybodys wondering.Just
one mans opinion.

#12385 - 01/29/03 06:50 AM Re: Blade requirements
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks guys

I am prepared to spend more but i didn't know what would be a rough target so i decided to put £100 to help anyway if there anytoher more expensive knifes worth looking at give me a shout

Cheers

Mark

#12386 - 01/29/03 06:48 PM Re: Blade requirements
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ray mears woodlore knife costs £195 and is supposed to be an exellent knife. I have never used it so i don't know.

#12387 - 02/03/03 05:48 PM Re: Blade requirements
dchinell Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: FL
And another one that comes to mind as being TERIFFIC value is the CRKT Polkowski/Kasper Companion. It's a great, small knife, usually described as a self-defense knife, but having all the attributes you described. And it comes with TWO sheathes.

At this price, you could buy a couple and have one for a backup.

Bear

#12388 - 02/04/03 01:33 AM Re: Blade requirements
corpsman Offline
Journeyman

I second the SRKW choices.

If you're more into "slicing" than a "do everything" you may like the TAK and RTAK from Randall's Adventure Training - the also hava a great survival website at http://www.jungletraining.com/forums/

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 437 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.