Originally Posted By: Hacksaw

"The general consensus seems to be that any food which is canned properly won't spoil...it can only lose it's taste color, and maybe Vitamins...and even that takes 2 years (more if stored at a nice cool temperature)."

In my experience, there is another variable. Most canned food is excellent UNTIL - THE CONTAINER FAILS. I have found that tomatoe products will start eating thru the can at room temperature in rough time frame of 5 years. The first hint is the top of the can bulging. The acid has eaten the plating off the the inside of the can and corrosion has started. The gas pressure is from the corrosion, not the food. The food is still good. Left on the shelf, the bottom seams start to leak and the tomatoes start leaving a ring on the shelf.

If you really want to have a stash of canned food that is not rotated and is left for say 10 years, pick your favorite products that have a neutral ph. My choice is Dinty Moore Beef Stew. Cook the fecal matter out of your neighbors grasshoppers and cat and the road killed deer in front of your store. When you are sure it is "OVER COOKED" add it to the stew.

"I think the real question when it comes to canned food is which foods to choose and how to rotate them so they stay relatively eatable."

IMHO - Only purchase your favorite foods that also meet your other requirements. Mark with a Magic Marker on the FRONT label the CANNING DATE. Place the new purchases in the back, eat from the front.

Edited by ponder (02/06/08 09:47 PM)
American Redoubt
N43.9668 W116.1888