The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#122647 - 02/05/08 04:13 AM Chain replacement for UCO candle lantern
SARbound Offline
Addict

Loc: Quebec City, Canada
Hi!

I recently purchased a UCO candle lantern. The hanging chain is a bit short... i'd like to make it longer, but adjustable as well to be able to fine-tune the height of the lantern, when hanging it off a tree, for example.

I was looking at a very light nickel chain sold by the foot... On the other hand, maybe a small piece of paracord with a hangman knot would do it.

Or something else... thoughts?

#122652 - 02/05/08 04:33 AM Re: Chain replacement for UCO candle lantern [Re: SARbound]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Could the lantern's heat cause a problem with paracord or any other type of nylon line???

#122664 - 02/05/08 01:33 PM Re: Chain replacement for UCO candle lantern [Re: SARbound]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Most hardware stores or electrical supply stores have bulk chain (the ball type, like dogtag chain), in several sizes and at least two colors (nickle and brass). You should be able to cut your chain, then add any length you want, using the little connectors that you can get with the chain...

#122666 - 02/05/08 01:40 PM Re: Chain replacement for UCO candle lantern [Re: wildman800]
jenkinma Offline
Stranger

Loc: GA
In my experience, the heat shouldn't be a problem. The chain is long enough to keep the paracord far enough away. Another option to help with heat/light distribution is the "pack flat" reflector accessory you can purchase. I really like that one.

Those little lanterns are really great. I recommend keeping one with you whenever you head to the woods. I am heading out this weekend with my scouts and am brining mine along. I have not done this in the past, but may try it out in the tent to take the edge off the cold.

Enjoy!

-Matt

#122702 - 02/05/08 07:59 PM Re: Chain replacement for UCO candle lantern [Re: SARbound]
RzrSxS Offline
Stranger

Loc: Michigan
Originally Posted By: SARbound
"...The hanging chain is a bit short... i'd like to make it longer, but adjustable as well to be able to fine-tune the height of the lantern, when hanging it off a tree, for example.... thoughts?

http://www.niteize.com/productdetail.php?category_id=29&product_id=157

I have been threatening to buy a few of these in the larger size for quite some time now.
Off-topic, yet I've been lusting after these little tools also:

http://www.akcooltools.com/hitchmaster.html
http://www.akcooltools.com/clamptite.html
'
Very nice site, by the way and thanks for having me.

#122704 - 02/05/08 08:20 PM Re: Chain replacement for UCO candle lantern [Re: RzrSxS]
jenkinma Offline
Stranger

Loc: GA
Welcome to the forum RzrSxS, from one relatively new guy to another!...

I have seen that Hitch Master in action... pretty neat. As for the Nite Ize 'biner thingy, I am now planning my aquisition of a couple... Thanks a LOT grin

-Matt

#122721 - 02/05/08 11:06 PM Re: Chain replacement for UCO candle lantern [Re: jenkinma]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

On what seems like similar jobs I have used the thin stainless steel cable used as fishing leader and used crimps on the ends. It is plenty strong, something like 120 pound test, heat resistant and it doesn't corrode.

That and a couple of feet of this stuff can come in handy when you need to garrote your snoring tent-mate.

#122790 - 02/06/08 01:53 PM Re: Chain replacement for UCO candle lantern [Re: jenkinma]
RzrSxS Offline
Stranger

Loc: Michigan
Originally Posted By: jenkinma
Welcome to the forum RzrSxS, from one relatively new guy to another!...

I have seen that Hitch Master in action... pretty neat. As for the Nite Ize 'biner thingy, I am now planning my aquisition of a couple... Thanks a LOT grin

Thanks for the welcome and certainly the Hitchmaster endorsement. Haven't heard of anybody actually using these nite-ize products; yet 'succumbed' today also to two of the 5/8" design, a couple of the larger carabiner combos and each individual size of the "S" carabiner in black.

Edited by RzrSxS (02/06/08 01:54 PM)
Edit Reason: wording

#122817 - 02/06/08 04:14 PM Re: Chain replacement for UCO candle lantern [Re: ]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I've wanted to try the big ones too but $28 for a candle lantern never sat well with my wallet for a glorified candle holder.

The tea light ones are only $10 around here but they take up so much space...don't collapse like the bigger ones.

I'll stick to putting tea lights in my Crusader canteen stove. With a foil reflector you can get a fair bit of light out of it.

#122903 - 02/07/08 04:58 AM Re: Chain replacement for UCO candle lantern [Re: SARbound]
Joseph13 Offline
Journeyman

Hey guys,

Check out this site for the model that fits the larger candles.
It is the "REI" in house model I guess.

http://www.rei.com/product/622044

I got a silver one 10 years ago with 4 candles and the pile storagebag, for about $20.00 at one of their sales. Best of luck on finding one for less.

-Joe-

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 482 Guests and 40 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.