Originally Posted By: Erik_B
I assume you're comparing plastic to plastic, and i totally agree the plastic US GI plastic canteens are weak. I personally use an aluminum canteen that i've had for years.
i've got an older one that i think might be made of steel. Got it from my grandfather, and he used it when he served.

No i wasn;t just comparing the plastic. The SS cup is finished to a higher degree. The design of the cup is also more complicated. The handles are asymmetrical, so they fit in to each other to a certain degree, allowing to to be hold more easily. The rim is finished better, so you can more easily poor without loosing some liquids, etc. It doesn't differ a lot in function, but it does in the quality.

The plastic bottle has a better seal and is design to fit a additional plastic cup over the top.

But due to it's higher weight and larger size, i sold mine Crusader setup. Now owned by a fellow forum member here. I do still have the dutch army field bottle, cup, holder, etc, which is pretty much identical to the US version. I like the smaller size and weight. But that one will probably be replaced also.