The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#122153 - 01/31/08 04:45 PM Re: sticky tape [Re: ducktapeguy]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Hi Bill,

I completely did misunderstand. No finger pointing I'm just going to go home and wrap my sticky roll of duct tape in something smile

I have the same problem with my roll of McNett Clean Tape. It sticks to the tube and can be hard to get in and out. I like the wax paper idea too.

#122154 - 01/31/08 05:13 PM Re: sticky tape [Re: BillLiptak]
Blitz Offline
Gear Junkie
Addict

Loc: MA
Originally Posted By: BillLiptak
I don't know about everybody else but I hate it that my mini-duct tape roll smears its sticky glue over the inside of my kit. Alas, that's what makes duct tape the marvel it is........
So I got to thinking, how can I eliminate the problem? And then it hit me, plumbers teflon tape. Minimal thickness, will "stick" to itself when wrapping, eases slipping roll in and out of PSK, and now I've got a foot of teflon tape in my kit too.
So if anybody else has this problem, and I'm sure if you carry duct tape you do, try wrapping it in teflon tape and enjoy the convience of sticky free PSKs

-Bill Liptak
P.S. Hey Blast, I finally figured out how to start a new post (evidently) from my phone. I am smart.....S-M-R-T! WOO HOO

Bill,

Glad Press and Seal. Cut 2 pieces out to the size you need and press them together.

http://www.glad.com/plasticwrap/pressnseal_freezer.php

waterproof to.

Blitz

#122175 - 01/31/08 09:25 PM Re: sticky tape [Re: Blitz]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Pretty common problem. I use a lot of various forms of tape on my job.

First, high quality duct tape, any type tape for that matter, has better adhesive. The exposed sides may stick a little bit but much less than with the cheap stuff and it doesn't smear and spread like the stick-um on the cheap stuff.

#122177 - 01/31/08 09:29 PM Re: sticky tape [Re: Blitz]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Pretty common problem. I use a lot of various forms of tape on my job.

First, high quality duct tape, any type tape for that matter, has better adhesive. The exposed sides may stick a little bit but much less than with the cheap stuff and it doesn't smear and spread like the stick-um on the cheap stuff.

In fact most of these problems come from the cheap adhesive used on cheap tape. Adhesive that softens and liquefies in time and squeezes out the the side of the roll. Quality adhesive doesn't soften, smear or migrate.

To get high quality duct tape try the big-box hardware stores. Home Depot usually has a better selection than Lowe's or the small stores catering to home owners and DIYers. A full roll of the good stuff will go for about $12. The cheap stuff about $4.

Or you can just find a roll of Gorilla brand duct tape. Good stuff but expensive. The code-rated stuff used by contractors are much more a bargain.

Second, if you keep it on a roll it is easy to put a piece of wax paper on either side of the roll and slip the whole thing into a zip-lock. A durable alternative is to use a small stuff sack. These are easy enough to stitch up even if you have to sew it by hand. The toe an old sock will work.

If your tape

#122179 - 01/31/08 09:38 PM Re: sticky tape [Re: Art_in_FL]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Post got clipped.

If your tape is making a mess you really have some problems. The most worrying is that the tape may be good quality but something in your kit is attacking it. Even good tape can't abide being exposed to gasoline fumes or oils.

The worse stuff is 100% DEET insect repellent because it is persistent and spreads. It is oily and attacks some plastics. A bottle of insect repellent can destroy a good portion of a kit. Messing with a roll of tape is the least of your problems. A small bottle of repellent got lose in a pack and it caused the plastic base of a compass to fog up and crack and it dissolved part of a handle on a SAK. I am more careful with that stuff now.

If the tape isn't being attacked then you still have two problems. First, the cheap tape is making a bothersome mess.

Second, your hauling around cheap tape that is likely to be useless when you need it. You would be better off leaving the tape behind. Less weight, bulk, mess and, you would know you don't have tape. Better to know what you don't have than to feel confident in what you have and find out it is useless.

#122181 - 01/31/08 09:40 PM Re: sticky tape [Re: BillLiptak]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
Hope I clarified it up

Okay, now I understand. I thought there was some new, mutant duct-teflon combination tape out on the market.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#122189 - 01/31/08 10:55 PM Re: sticky tape [Re: Blast]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Originally Posted By: Blast
I thought there was some new, mutant duct-teflon combination tape out on the market.

Heh. Duct tape, so it sticks to everything, made of teflon, so it sticks to nothing… sounds like a government spending project to me. laugh

#122198 - 02/01/08 12:27 AM Re: sticky tape [Re: BillLiptak]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

Here's another tape idea, we use the heck out of Kapton tape at work. We use it for just about everything, even on the space shuttle. They sell them on e-bay and all over the place, it's great stuff, no tape residue, great for keeping things super clean. It sticks to it self and is reasonably strong if you use it like a rope. But duck tape is far superior to it by far, just lots of residues and outgassing with it. Kapton doesn't outgass which is a DOD requirement (at least the stuff we have, possibly all 3M is non outgassing).

http://www.kaptontape.com/

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 761 Guests and 43 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.