Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#121892 - 01/29/08 05:09 PM Help Me choose a Tent.
Erik_B Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Somewhere in my own little wor...
The local Wiley's store is having their annual pre-inventroy sale, and I thought now would be as good a time as any to get a new tent. the two they've got left that i'm interested in are the ALPS Mountaineering Mystique 1.5, which is $100(retail about $130), and the columbus Explorer Camp set, which includes solo tent, sleeping bag, and backpack with water bladder, for $50(retail $126). I don't know anything about either of these brands, so i'm asking here. The columbus set is tempting given the price, but it seems to me like they must have sacrificed quality to offer all that for about the same price as just the tent from the other brand.

Originally Posted By: ironraven
...Shopping appeals to the soul of the hunter-gatherer.

#121907 - 01/29/08 08:11 PM Re: Help Me choose a Tent. [Re: Erik_B]
MtnRescue Offline

Loc: NoVA
I found a review of the Alps tent, however it's the 2.0 which is the same as the 1.5 only a little larger:
Alps Mystique Review

#121926 - 01/30/08 12:31 AM Re: Help Me choose a Tent. [Re: MtnRescue]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
So far I have two Alps Mountaineering tents and they are great high-value tents. I use the Merimac for warm weather and the Taurus for cold weather.

I think of them as the tents that Eureka or Kelty SHOULD be making. I've used Eureka tents for years, but their designs seem to have gotten too fancy/weird lately. For example, a lot of their current designs - like the Tetragons - seem to have the sides of vestibules, but no vestibules - what's that?

I've got to believe their other tents are as nice. The Mystique is very much like Eureka's Spitfire. I tried the Spitfire 1 and found it too small, so I got the Spitfire 2. That was before I discovered Alps. The Mystique 1.5 seems a more reasonable solo size.

I do wonder why Alps when with a pole sleeve when I personally would rather have clips.

#121939 - 01/30/08 01:38 AM Re: Help Me choose a Tent. [Re: Erik_B]
Blitz Offline
Gear Junkie
Addict

Loc: MA
I have a Kelty Gunnison 2 that I think is awesome. Full coverage fly with dual vestibules and doors. With the foot print it can bet set up with the fly only for a minimalist shelter. All told its under 6 pounds.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=kelty+gunnison+2&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f

I got mine for $104.00 on sale.

Blitz

#121959 - 01/30/08 04:01 AM Re: Help Me choose a Tent. [Re: Blitz]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
Most of the time we go family camping and I am thinking replacing our cumbersome giant tent with a Eureka Timberline 4XT. It is a simple well ventilated A-frame looking tent that sleeps four. One of our Eagle Scout friends has one (2XT I believe) that has lasted for over six years of camping all over the world, without repairs.

I have a small solo tent from LL Bean. It is pretty good too and only a couple of pounds. I just wish the tallest part was about 6-8 inches taller, then I can sit upright in it.

My suggestion is to get a tent with aluminum poles. The fiberglass ones break way too easily.

Our Eagle Scout's tip is to have a ground cover under the tent and a cheap tarp on the inside to make cleaning much easier and to extend the life of the tent.

One other tip from another camper dad is to add paracord loops to the tents anchor points. That way, if you ever have to cut your tent free of a stuck peg, you just cut the cord and replace it without damaging your tent.

I only included the tips I learned since preserving a tent means not having to replace a tent.

#121960 - 01/30/08 04:13 AM Re: Help Me choose a Tent. [Re: aloha]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi Aloha,

I have used the Eureka Timberline tents at remote fly-in camps for both working (timber cruising) and as a sleeping tent while moose hunting.

I found them to be a solid product and I do not remember having any trouble with them.

Mike

#121961 - 01/30/08 04:17 AM Re: Help Me choose a Tent. [Re: SwampDonkey]
SARbound Offline
Addict

Loc: Quebec City, Canada
Take a good look at the Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2... Awesome tent, I love mine!

#121962 - 01/30/08 04:23 AM Re: Help Me choose a Tent. [Re: SwampDonkey]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
Mahalo Mike.

I will likely get one before our next camping trip. What size do you have? We are a little spoiled with the vast cavern that we are currently using. But I have grown to detest fiberglass poles and our huge tent is heavy and a pain to set up and take down. But it is huge! And the camping kids have fun inside.

The more we camp, the more I value durability and simplicity. With all of the other tents we have used for family camping over the past few years, I carry a roll of duct tape and a tube of crazy glue for field repairs of tent poles that break.

#121967 - 01/30/08 05:11 AM Re: Help Me choose a Tent. [Re: ]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
A buddy of mine & I are both shopping for one man backpacking tents. Neither of us is ready to go to a tarp primarily due to bugs and heavy weather. He is more concerned about headroom and his primary contenders are the Sierra Design Velox 1 & the MSR Hubba HP. I would rather give up the headroom for the sake of saving weight and being more stable in winds. Right now I'm leaning toward the Sierra Design Lightyear 1. The Mountain Hardwear Skypoint 1, Mountain Hardwear Sprite and Marmot Eos 1P were also candidates.

I should say that we both spend time in relatively warm areas so a single wall tent is usually a very bad idea.

#121974 - 01/30/08 05:39 AM Re: Help Me choose a Tent. [Re: aloha]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Aloha,

The tents we used on the job belonged to my employer, they were Timberline Outfitter 4 man but I thought they were all brown/tan so they must have changed the colour? They were tough tents as we used them a lot.

On our fly-in hunting or canoe-in fishing trips we used a Timberline 2 man tent with a vestibule on the front. It rained/snowed the entire week of our moose hunt and the tent never leaked but it got a little crowded with 2 hunters and all our wet gear inside. The other 2 hunters also had a Timberline tent but I think it was called an Alpine Meadows model, it just pulled the sides out a little for more elbow room. We (my 3 partners) missed the biggest moose I have ever seen on that trip (11 shots), we still don't talk about that one.

We don't go on the fly-in trip anymore and now moose hunt out of a 14' x 16' canvas wall tent with a woodstove and seperate 12' x 14' canvas wall tent for a kitchen, we are very comfortable. You do get some funny stares though when you put up a big wall tent in a summer campground with the family!

My wife hates the wall tent because there is no floor and she is afraid of spiders.

Happy Camping,

Mike

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Phaedrus), 399 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
israfaceVity, Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall
5369 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.