Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#12190 - 01/19/03 08:21 PM India
Anonymous
Unregistered

My sister will soon be visiting India for 3-6 months. I have asked if she will be taking a survival kit. She told me no. I said that she should at least take some water puri tabs, and she told me that she would be imunised against cholera. I will buy her some puri tabs, and if I put together a cheap kit and give it to her she cant really turn it down. What should i contain in a kit for india?
thanks

#12191 - 01/19/03 08:51 PM Re: India
Anonymous
Unregistered

Pete:

My company has sent quite a few employees over to India in the past few years. Despite having all the suggested immunizations a couple of them have gotten quite ill. In both cases the cause could be traced back to bad water in either its natural state or as an ingredient in cooking.

If your sister will be staying in a well established hotel (such as a Hilton) she should be fine. The water there will be filtered or bottled. If she is not, however, I would strongly suggest an actual water filter (MSR, PUR, etc.) and water containers (such as Nalgene).

You may also wish to include a good supply of over the counter medications such as pain relievers and antacids. I understand from our Indian co-workers that such things can be hard to get in some areas.

I would also give her a small, led flashlight to clip to her pack or clothing. I got my parents a pair of Photon II's for their trip to the UK and they love them. A very small compass with a keyring attachment might be an asset as well if she knows how to use it.

I think the trick here is not to push the items as a "Survival Kit" but more as "I saw this in a shop and thought it would be useful to you".

Chris

#12192 - 01/19/03 08:56 PM Re: India
Anonymous
Unregistered

thanks, thats really helpful

#12193 - 01/21/03 03:54 PM Re: India
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi,

Years ago I went for 6 weeks to India, my friend for over a year.
I think your sister don't need a special survival kit. It makes more sence to know how "India works". Puritabs or anything similar are not necessary, if you drink only bottled water. Brush your teeth with bottled water too. Don't eat ice creme, don't eat uncooked vegetables and unpelled fruits. Think about: Peel it, cook it or forget it!
If she drinks fruit juice (you find everywhere fresh pressed juice- great!) then take it without ice (it is stored on the side of the road or walkway).
She should take syringes and needles, not every doctor has sufficient or clean ones. Take some kind of medicine with you and give the away as a nice present for new indish friends (they will love it).
Information is the best survival-tip! (Robert Pelton Young).

I wish her much fun and take care,
Dieter
Stuttgart/Germany

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 302 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
bacpacjac
by Herman30
07/04/24 11:36 AM
Anoher rescue, this time of a well-prepared hiker
by Herman30
07/04/24 11:32 AM
How 5 Fishermen Survived...Carried a PLB!
by roberttheiii
07/02/24 02:51 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
07/02/24 01:45 AM
Lost in Northern California Mountains for 10 Days
by Ren
06/25/24 08:36 PM
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by Eugene
06/25/24 06:46 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/23/24 06:12 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.