Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#121854 - 01/29/08 06:22 AM Two firefighters survive after night in snow cave
cedfire Offline
Addict

Loc: Orygun
Here is a link to an article about two firefighters who were off-duty and had to spend the night in a snow cave after a big winter storm...

1/28/08 Article

Luckily this story has a happy ending.

#121878 - 01/29/08 02:43 PM Re: Two firefighters survive after night in snow cave [Re: cedfire]
aardwolfe Offline
Old Hand

Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland
Looks like they did all the right things. Doug will probably say they should have had a PLB <j/k>, but if they did, they obviously didn't feel the need to use it. They were well-prepared, they obviously told people where they were going and what time they expected to be back, and so the whole adventure was such a non-incident, I'm almost surprised to see it written up at all.

#121888 - 01/29/08 04:38 PM Re: Two firefighters survive after night in snow cave [Re: aardwolfe]
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
"They were apparently taken by surprise when Sunday's storm moved in with sudden intensity" - that is the Unknown Factor, how we get stuck even when well trained and prepared. They indeed did well, less the noted fact they did not have a PLB or SPOT. Personally I am happy to add this article to my collection, most of these situation as aardwolfe noted never make the news, therefore in most peoples mind they never happened.

boreal.net

#121942 - 01/30/08 01:55 AM Re: Two firefighters survive after night in snow cave [Re: BruceZed]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Oh, my!

They told people where they were going and when they should be back!

They stopped traveling when they realized they were lost!

They build a shelter!

They had the means to make a fire!

Okay, there's TWO.

Sue

#123794 - 02/14/08 02:30 AM Re: Two firefighters survive after night in snow cave [Re: Susan]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Susan
They told people where they were going and when they should be back!

They stopped traveling when they realized they were lost!

They build a shelter!

They had the means to make a fire!

Actually they did pretty well, all things considered. The only critique I might have is that if they knew a storm was coming, maybe they shouldn't have ventured out. The article notes a lot of stranded motorists, so perhaps it was not known that a storm of significance was moving in.

Of course a PLB would have been helpful, but I'd be willing to bet that most people have never so much as heard of a PLB. Only in circles such as these (i.e. ETS) do people even have an idea what PLB stands for.

Last year (Jan - Mar, 2007), I took a very thorough wilderness travel course through the Sierra Club. They covered a number of safety techniques very thoroughly. The text they used was the highly regarded Mountaineering: The Freedom of the Hills, 7th Ed. In the class, the topic of PLB's never came up and I don't believe that they're in the text either (certainly not in any of the assigned sections, but I don't think PLB's are there at all). In the outdoors community, people are only just now starting to learn about PLB's, so I can hardly fault anyone for not having one.

Not to pick on poor Aaron Ralston, but perhaps some good can come out of accidents like his and the recent SAR efforts for those climbers on Mt. Hood: people are now finding out about PLB's.

As for the two fire fighters in question here, they passed the only test that really matters: they lived to tell about it.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 205 Guests and 81 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Safety pin
by Ren
07/24/24 10:53 AM
bacpacjac
by chaosmagnet
07/18/24 09:56 PM
When you get lost hiking in WA, how much does it c
by Doug_Ritter
07/18/24 08:31 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by chaosmagnet
07/18/24 04:11 PM
Yikes...
by chaosmagnet
07/18/24 04:04 PM
Idiot and Ill-Prepared
by Doug_Ritter
07/17/24 03:17 PM
Anoher rescue, this time of a well-prepared hiker
by Ren
07/09/24 01:13 PM
How 5 Fishermen Survived...Carried a PLB!
by roberttheiii
07/02/24 02:51 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.