OBG,

Interesting that you said that. I've had two very different experiences with my parents.

My father started showing signs of forgetfulness many years ago. My mom noticed it at first and most of the kids - not being around as much (out of state) wrote it off as him just not caring to remember. Eventually it became more obvious as he'd get more confused about things. We took him in to a neurologist for tests and I honestly wasn't all that impressed with the tests. Anyway, they eventually diagnosed him as having Alzeimers (never could spell that - uh oh). His memory did decline slowly over the years, to the point that he thought I was his brother instead of his son. He eventually died from injuries associated with a fall, and luckily we (his children) were spared seeing his memory dwindle even further.

My mother, on the other hand, started having memory problems too - about the same time, though maybe a little later. They diagnosed her as having Alzeimers too. Later she was also diagnosed as having some form of leukemia related to radiation therapy she'd had back in the '60's. Over a number of years her red blood cell levels dropped to the point that she passed away amazingly peacefully. Hind sight very clearly says she didn't have Alzeimers at all, but a form of dementia related to low red blood cell levels and low oxygen supply. We never got a doctor's word on that, it was mostly my opinion, but hearing your comment makes me think I was indeed correct.

I'll agree with OBG 100%. CLOSE friends and family KNOW. Moderately infrequent visitors may not know for a long time. Doctors might be able to detect something.