Hacksaw, I agree within reason. I am not advocating using a dull axe just not a really sharp one. Using a really sharp knife is different to using a really sharp axe. Safe axe use requires certain muscles to be developed for adequate control that people normally do not have developed. Until they are developed, one should not use a really sharp axe or they will possibly get into a world of hurt.

I have acknowledged that most good axes come sharp enough straight from the manufacturor, just not as sharp as a good sharp knife... at least not like mine. The problem with an axe isn't so much how hard you swing, with some hard wood you will swing really hard even with a really sharp axe, it is how you swing and how you stand.

Learn how to swing and how to stand safely, and then sharpen your axe right up. Not the other way around.

The major thing is instruction, and there are not many people who can share good axe techniques out there.

If you hurt yourself with a sharp knife, you seldom severely hurt yourself. At worst a few stitches are needed. If you hurt yourself with a really sharp axe you are usually going to the hospital and fast. If you can't get to a hospital it could be reallllly bad.

I am advocating training and practice, then razor sharp. The Japanise masters would have just given the trainee a weighted handle and told him to practice, once the muscles were trained, they would have then and only then given the student a sharp instrument, it is the same as sword training.

Only an unwise person gives a guy with no training a really sharp axe and then says practice away.

I started using an axe at age seven and even with good training I have had a few near misses. Only let someone who is inexperienced use a sharp axe under tight instruction and supervision, even more than you would with a knife.

Anyway that is my 5 cents worth,
Mac.