Once upon a time as a young soldier in a far away land, I spent roughly 170 hours awake. I do not remember anything after the third day. I woke up in a hospital after (this comes from friends, like I said, I don't remember) being lured into a tracked vehicle, locked inside, and administered a sedative.

This happened because I was the only available electronics tech when there was supposed to be five of us--we were transitioning to the M1 Abrams (from the M60--sheesh, I just dated myself), and on a combat alert (one nice captain in operations sold his soul to the dark side). I can remember the first three days or so repairing problems with the radio/intercom system because of design flaws with the NBC (nuke/bio/chem) overpressure/filter system. By all accounts I was fine until day six; the morning of day seven I started (apparently) to disassemble a thermal imager with my SAK, while muttering about 1.5 volts--the voltage required to set off a 120mm round. After that they pretty much figured out I was bonkers smile Especially since we were all carrying live rounds....