The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#121597 - 01/27/08 12:53 PM Re: A Can Of Worms [Re: DrmstrSpoodle]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Another question: Do you know for certain that you would be traveling in the proper direction to be able to use your stashed resources? With my luck, I would be anywhere else.

And what would you use to cut through chainlink fencing that you would be carrying with you? The only thing that I've found that works is a large pair of bolt cutters, and that would be very low on my list of what I would be likely to have with me.

Just what-iffing...

Sue

#121665 - 01/27/08 11:58 PM Re: A Can Of Worms [Re: Susan]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Susan

There are about half a dozen roads that lead to my BOL, all in the same area maybe between 10 to 20 miles apart certainly withing walking distance of each other, so I figured If I chose location along at least three of them that I would able to hit at least one on the way if I was walking, the storage shed would be on the primary route centered between the others, that way I would have a good chance to get to it. Obviously if I was away from ( which I seldom am) I might not make it to the stash, but there is still that chance, even if I'm away from home I still have to either get home, or to the BOL. There is no way to know where your going to be away from home so selecting a location to store supplies is obviously harder but still doable. As far as what to cut a chain link fence, Home Depot sells and I'm sure other hardware stores also sell a standard plier size pair of bolt cutters that would easly fit in a BOB bag.

Prepare Or Not To Prepare That Is The Question. The Answer, You Better !!!

#121671 - 01/28/08 12:49 AM Re: A Can Of Worms [Re: Shadow_oo00]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
A fencing tool for barbed wire fences would do chain link as well, IMO. I've got one of those on my "to get this year list" from the local feed & seed store.

#121724 - 01/28/08 02:31 PM Re: A Can Of Worms [Re: wildman800]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...A fencing tool for barbed wire fences would do chain link as well, IMO..."

Probably would, but a strong grip will be required. Fencing pliers are a great tool, hammer, wire cutters, staple puller, and more, all wrapped up in one tool...

#121747 - 01/28/08 05:02 PM Re: A Can Of Worms [Re: wildman800]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: wildman800
A fencing tool for barbed wire fences would do chain link as well, IMO.

Not really. Growing up on a farm reaplcing barb wire fence, the fencing pliers will chew through barb wire if you have a nice new sharp tool and bit it then twist it back and forth for a while and finally it breaks loose and even then it takes a lot of muscle.
Home grade chain link maybe you could slowly cut your way through a small hole but the heavier gauge stuff used for commerical applications your going to be there all day and have some very sore arms and hands trying to cut through them.

You could probably get through faster with one of those small pocket hack saws and a couple new blades.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 353 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.