In spite of all the excellent advice I have seen, I will go back to the original question -- The Short Answer -- A SAW!! (-;

All kidding aside, there are many axes and hatchets for many different purposes. So I must ask, what do you see doing with this? I have many of each and they all have their place. If you want to cut wood, then my first answer is the best. If you wish to split wood, make tent poles and stakes, etc. then a light axe is the best choice. The hatchet is not a good choice for general use if you have any intention of cutting wood (especially dry) or splitting it. In most cases, if you are in the real woods, you need an axe if you want this capability.

The axe need not be heavy, but it should have a longish handle. The 1 3/4 pound Hudsons Bay axe (mine is a Snow & Neally) is designed for this type of use, but works MUCH better with a 28 or 30 inch handle. The cutting requires force. In order to let the axe provide the force, you need a long handle, a heavy head or both. A lightweight head with a long cutting edge (the Hudsons Bay design is one of the most well known) on a long handle will do 80% of the work of a heavier axe.

Many axes (especially great ones) are left with extra material near the edge so that the owner can shape it to his own desire - for his needs. A long, slim taper will cut deep, but can become trapped by the log, a shorter taper will not cut as well but will split better (a wedge shape - like a maul is best). The short taper will also not be damaged as easily if you hit something hard. The different types of wood require different shapes for optimum use.

Respectfully,

Jerry Fountain