The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#120354 - 01/16/08 02:46 AM Need a bit of computer help
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Please keep the words and the sentence short for this computer-impaired person. blush

I have Internet Explorer and I have Mozilla Firefox.

I want to print save all my Favorites/Bookmarks in both browsers.

I understand that there is no way to save them from IE, but I heard that I should be able to transfer the IE bookmarks to Firefox, then save the whole list (which is quite extensive) to a CD so I don't lose everything if my computer crashes again.

Can anyone tell me, in short, simple steps, how to do this?

Thank you.

Sue (maybe 'computer illiterate' is a better description)

#120376 - 01/16/08 12:40 PM Re: Need a bit of computer help [Re: ]
Mike_in_NKY Offline

Loc: KY
To save them from IE do the following (Windows 2000):

File > Import and Export > Next

Export Favorites > Next

Select action (Export Favorites)
Select the folder (Favorites) > Next

Select "Export to a file or address" > Next

Click Browse Button > Save

It will save the file name as bookmark.htm you can save this file to a floppy disk , memory stick or a location on your hard drive or you can burn it to a CD.

Alternatively you can search for the bookmark.htm file on your hard drive and save that as well. Not sure if this will work on Xp or Vista though.

#120446 - 01/16/08 10:55 PM Re: Need a bit of computer help [Re: Mike_in_NKY]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Thank you both for the instructions.

I don't have to worry about XP or Vista (gag!).

Sue

#120558 - 01/17/08 05:14 PM Re: Need a bit of computer help [Re: Susan]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

Susan,

the responses below answer your question, but it reminded me that its always a good time to back-up your data.

thanks,

teacher

#120780 - 01/19/08 05:25 AM Re: Need a bit of computer help [Re: teacher]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Yes, Teacher, I am starting to do that.

I caught a guy at the store and stood on his feet while I made him explain burnable CDs to me. Now I have some rewritable ones, I really need to get started. I had put a lot of stuff on those little floppies, but for some reason after adding stuff several times, they go into a snit and it's hard to read them, or even get the info off them.

Do CD-RWs have that problem?

Oh, I almost forgot. How much text can a CD hold? A little book of poems? War and Peace?

Sue

#120783 - 01/19/08 05:47 AM Re: Need a bit of computer help [Re: Susan]
Jimmy_IL Offline
Stranger

Susan,

A CD can hold 700 Megs. RW CD's are basically useless.

Now that we have double-layer DVD's, you should invest in that type of burner - though not in Double (dual) layer DVD's, as they are still quite expensive. Buy the burner, as it still does DVD 5. Soon, though, you'll be all good with the golden god.

Then again, BlueRay may be the way...

Did that help? Hehehe. Nope.

That is technology. Never was, never is.

#120802 - 01/19/08 02:51 PM Re: Need a bit of computer help [Re: Jimmy_IL]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
Sue,
If you've been using floppys, the step-up to CDR will solve your storage problems. Now, if you had been using CDRs and needed to upgrade, you might go to a portable hard-drive.

Floppys hold a maximum of 1.4MB. As Jimmy said, CDRs hold up to 700MB. The math is easy.

A portable hardrive can hold from about 40 GIGABYTES up to....I don;t even know. Last summer, a friend suggested I get one. I bought a Maxtor 80 GB harddrive for less than $100....in fact I think it was $80 at Circus City or Best Buy or something. It works off of a simple USB cable. 80GB equates to approximately 110 CDRs.

#120803 - 01/19/08 02:56 PM Re: Need a bit of computer help [Re: Stretch]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
My back-up drive is a 120GB USB drive. Plug it into the USB port and put everything on it except the MS software that's already on CD's. Done.

#120836 - 01/19/08 10:17 PM Re: Need a bit of computer help [Re: Russ]
NAro Offline
Addict

Sue,
Just to be even more .. er..helpful:
Our research and experience with disaster recovery of backup files suggests that CDRs may be more stable that CR-RW (re-writable). Things we're going to back up and squirrel away go to CDs. Things we are going to back up in ongoing or episodic ways go to re-writable media. Being a belt and suspenders guy when it comes to important data, we make and lock away a CD for stuff we never want to loose or change. We use removable HD and DVD-RW for stuff we are backing up all of the time.

Backing up is only 1/2 the problem. To restore, you need to be sure the program or utility you are using is backwards-compatible. You sound like you're using something preXP. Be warned that if you're trying to restore to a new computer (e.g. to recover data after a fire of stolen computer)you'll feel more comfortable if you test your backup on someone's newer operating system.

Forgive me if this is more than you wanted to hear.

#120840 - 01/19/08 10:28 PM Re: Need a bit of computer help [Re: NAro]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Floppy disks are one of the most unreliable storage mediums there are, don't trust those to anything. We don't even have a floppy drive in the house anymore except the old one that came with my laptop 5 years ago and has never been used.
WRT CDR, CDRW, DVDR, DVDRW, the RW's are less stable than the R's but even the R's have been known do deteriorate sometimes. Manufacturer quality makes a big difference there. Search for some of the web pages that compare brands and tell which ones to use and which to not.
I have multiple computers in the house so I bought an USB enclosure and put a DVDRW in it so I can plug into any system and burn. Our laptops can read single layer DVD so even though my writer can do dual layer I only write single layer so they can be read in another system if I should not be able to use the burner for any reason.
Be careful with external HDD's, don't buy a prepackaged one, buy the enclosure and stick your own in it so you know for sure your getting a decent drive, most stick in their poorly selling models to get rid of them. Also remember a rule of thumb for good backup practice is to a different media type and keep it in a different location, another hdd doesn't really qualify since its still the same type of media.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 610 Guests and 50 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.