The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#120134 - 01/14/08 11:08 PM Survival spear
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
In another post I made there was a picture of this spearhead. It was not intended to be in the picture, it’s just that I had all my stuff splayed out to reorganize and repack after a day afield. I ended up getting a few PMs regarding it. What is it and why do you carry it, and where do I get one basically. I just thought I would post a bit more on it as it seems to have drawn attention. The spear head is quite sturdy at about 3mm thick. The back end is a backup bottle/can opener /screwdriver, and the edge is sharp enough to use as a backup to my backup knife if the need should arise. I carry it as part of my emergency food procurement kit along with the giant gaff hook. Also carried with these two items is a spool of mil spec tripwire which it really flexible but remains quite strong. Inside the spool are two broad headed nails which fit the holes in the spear perfectly, plus one more for the Gaff hook. Using the nails and then the trip wire I can fix the spear and the hook to sticks very well. I have played with the spear on the beach just for fun and was TOTALLY amazed at how many things I could spear with it. Crabs, flatfish and basically anything incapable of getting out of the way fast enough. Plus, the spear would be easy to stick low hanging fruit from trees without needing to climb up and be grabbed by a snake or harry poisonous spider etc. It can also double as a Hail Mary, please God don’t let me die last ditch weapon against animal attack if that is all I had. (Better than a club for some situations) The gaff hook is pretty standard, and can be used for the same purposes except it excels at grabbing stuff from the water’s edge such as edges of nets, ropes etc. The hook used with some bait and 550 cord can also be made into a trap of sorts capable of trapping larger animals or fish than couldn’t be caught with anything in my fishing kit. The spear could then be used to finish off whatever is caught with the hook. I am not a big fan of the idea of using my knife as a spear in any situation due to the fear of loss or breakage of the knife (what very well will be my most relied on piece of gear). Besides, the spear is barbed while my knife is not and what you stab with the spear usually stays put till you decide to remove it. (Same with the hook) For the utility offered by both these items they will always be with me in the field. The hook was picked up at a boat shop, while the spear came in a PSK given to me as a gift. Funny thing is that everything else in the kit was junk. I have no idea what the name of the kit was. I bet for anyone interested, a good spear head can be made with nothing more than a good piece of metal, a dremel tool and a hacksaw. This thing has so many uses in my survival kit at least, that I will be making/acquiring a few more to place in all my other kits.

[img][IMG]http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh19/zazabu531/survivalitems1001.jpg[/img][/img]

#120143 - 01/14/08 11:38 PM Re: Survival spear [Re: Taurus]
Comanche7 Offline
Addict

Loc: Florida
Hi Taurus,

Would it be possible for you to trace an outline of your spearhead on a sheet of graph paper and post it so that others may make one with decent dimensions and form? .JPG, .DOC or .PDF would be great

Thanks again for sharing your kits and experiences with us at ETS.
Regards, Comanche7

#120149 - 01/15/08 12:19 AM Re: Survival spear [Re: Comanche7]
MRPrice Offline

Loc: Tulsa, OK. United States of Am...
That reminded me of the secondary knife inside the sheath of an Aitor Jungle King.

#120159 - 01/15/08 12:34 AM Re: Survival spear [Re: MRPrice]
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

Aitor’s “Harpoon”.

"These were originally provided with the Aitor Jungle King II Survival Knife"

http://www.donrearic.com/survivalequip.html

#120163 - 01/15/08 12:44 AM Re: Survival spear [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
Taurus Offline
Addict

HEY!! This is beginning to jog my memory a bit. I am sure it came in a kit though. Maybe mine is an aftermarket knockoff version. I’ve had it for at least 10 years. Either way it is worth keeping. Cool link, It actually gave me a few more ideas of what to do with it. Thanks

Edited by Taurus (01/15/08 12:47 AM)

#120164 - 01/15/08 12:46 AM Re: Survival spear [Re: MRPrice]
stevenpd Offline
Journeyman

Loc: SoCal
His knife is similar to the Aitor Jungle King II but not quite. The pictured knife is currently part of another "survival" knife set known, in its various incarnations as Adventure Survival 12-piece Deluxe Knife Kit: http://www.amazon.com/Adventure-Survival-12-piece-Deluxe-Knife/dp/B000VMGAZG#moreAboutThisProduct. Unfortunately, I can not locate a specific manufacturer for the knife itself, identified as a "harpoon."

There are a couple of others like the "Hoffman Harpoon" (large and small versions) and Coldsteel's "Bird & Trout". Here's a review and comparison between the two: http://hikinghq.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2104 grin

#120165 - 01/15/08 12:52 AM Re: Survival spear [Re: stevenpd]
Taurus Offline
Addict

I think I may order the crappy knife in this link just to get another one of these spears! 24 bucks is better than the screwing around involved with trying to make more on my own. crazy

#120167 - 01/15/08 01:01 AM Re: Survival spear [Re: Taurus]
stevenpd Offline
Journeyman

Loc: SoCal
Who knows? You just may find another jewel in amongst the other items.

#120168 - 01/15/08 01:03 AM Re: Survival spear [Re: Taurus]
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Taurus
I think I may order the crappy knife in this link just to get another one of these spears! 24 bucks is better than the screwing around involved with trying to make more on my own. crazy

LOL!

I had the same thought. $25 for a kit plus a knife -- it's gotta SUCK.

#120175 - 01/15/08 02:40 AM Re: Survival spear [Re: Taurus]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
Someone should solicit a knife maker or designer (Doug?) and have one made of better steel. With a few tweaks it could be a great supplement to one's survival gear.
Bill

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 432 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
israfaceVity, Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall
5369 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.