The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#11936 - 01/13/03 03:21 PM Re: Survival Communications
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
I just heard on the news this morning, that an experienced climbing party of 5 were successfully rescued from Mt Hood. They had planned to make the climb in 1 day, but the weather turned nasty and they decided to hunker down. As a few of the members started to experience early hypothermia, they decided that rescue was the way to proceed. They used their cell phone to contact SAR. Pete

#11937 - 01/13/03 08:30 PM Re: Survival Communications
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dear PeterR

I'm aware of the commercial HF service in Australia which is why I see the commercial route as being the way of creating a nationally coherent "Wilderness Personal Radio Service" where people can hire the service and/or hardware as required at a fraction of the price of satellite comms.

Something that NZ has realised is that HF radio does not need power it needs brains. You do not need a 100W radio and a vehicle to charge the battery, you can use a 4W radio and carry it in your pack (750g about 1.6Lb).

I can steer you towards several portable HF radios but not combined with MF below 2MHz.

Yrs aye
Matthew

#11938 - 01/31/03 07:29 AM Re: Survival Communications
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree with Schwert on the Ham radio's reliability. They give me the "biggest bang for my buck". I am also a Seattle area Ham user and find that the 2 meter band has been quite a bit more reliable than the cell phones (3) that I've used in the past. I have been using a 45 watt output mobile radio in my truck. I have as yet had no experience with a handheld, but several Hams in the area I know have found them to be excellent.

The Test wasn't too bad. I studied for just a couple of weeks-- probably 8 solid hours of studying. It does eliminate a lot of the kids chattering that are all too common on the FRS and CB radios.

I got the Ham rig because I needed a reliable form of emergency communication when I was working at my mother in law's property-- which is in a nearby rural area.

The Ham folks I've talked on the radio have been more helpful than I thought possible. They are a professional, pleasant group that have been more than willing to help in local minor and major problems, or just pass the time with each other in a "ragchew" (conversation). I have got as much out of talking to them as I have with the forums. And there is a secure feeling that someone is (often) out there listening for a potential problem.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Tim H., (KD7IZT)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 216 Guests and 82 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Safety pin
by Ren
07/24/24 10:53 AM
bacpacjac
by chaosmagnet
07/18/24 09:56 PM
When you get lost hiking in WA, how much does it c
by Doug_Ritter
07/18/24 08:31 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by chaosmagnet
07/18/24 04:11 PM
Yikes...
by chaosmagnet
07/18/24 04:04 PM
Idiot and Ill-Prepared
by Doug_Ritter
07/17/24 03:17 PM
Anoher rescue, this time of a well-prepared hiker
by Ren
07/09/24 01:13 PM
How 5 Fishermen Survived...Carried a PLB!
by roberttheiii
07/02/24 02:51 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.