Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#119245 - 01/07/08 09:40 PM Boiling water to make it safe .
handyman Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Massachusetts
I wonder how many of you knew this . While surfing the internet today I found this bit of information .
Many people , including myself , thought that you needed to boil water for a number of minutes - at least 3 or maybe even 5 or 10 minutes - to make it safe to drink . Not true , it takes 0 minutes . The time it takes for the water to reach a full boil is enough .

#119248 - 01/07/08 09:52 PM Re: Boiling water to make it safe . [Re: handyman]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

The center for disease control seems to think otherwise.

http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/contentWaterTreatment.aspx

Where did you get your info from?

#119254 - 01/07/08 10:08 PM Re: Boiling water to make it safe . [Re: ]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I'm not so sure. I've stepped into a fire and I survived. If I'd have stood there for 3 minutes I might not have.

or am I just being an ass this time?

#119255 - 01/07/08 10:09 PM Re: Boiling water to make it safe . [Re: ]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Originally Posted By: BigDaddyTX
It makes sense that it would, if the parasites etc. die at 212 degrees F, why would they stay alive after the water hit that point.. either the temp kills them or it doesn't. If it needs to be hotter, they need to say that.

I can be wrong, but my memory of my science and oother classes is telling me that water cannot get hotter than boiling and remain in the liquid state. As you add heat to boiling water, the heat turns the water into vapor, i.e. steam.

But otherwise, yes, it makes a lot of senses that water once at boiling has already killed all of the organisms need to be killed, if boiling it for one minute is also good enough. However, once I had it boiling, I'd give it that extra minute, just to make sure, provided I was nto concerend about my supply of fuel.

#119256 - 01/07/08 10:12 PM Re: Boiling water to make it safe . [Re: ]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I believe that Chris K. posted that into about a year ago.

"The center for disease control seems to think otherwise."

I suspect that the information is aimed at the 'lowest common denominator' of intelligence. If they didn't say to boil it for a minute, some dork holding a Bic under a cast iron pot would figure that two minutes of that should be good enough. The boiling gives people a definite point to aim for.

Sue

#119257 - 01/07/08 10:12 PM Re: Boiling water to make it safe . [Re: ]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hey,

I remember a water safety rhyme that went "Big Bubbles, No Troubles". I seem to remember that once you get most water (not the seriously polluted stuff) to a rolling boil, its OK. It has worked for me in the past.

Mike

#119259 - 01/07/08 10:19 PM Re: Boiling water to make it safe . [Re: SwampDonkey]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I think this is the first time I'm playing devil's advocate with myself!

http://www.survivaltopics.com/survival/how-long-do-you-need-to-boil-water/

Another good article which supports Susan's theory (and has a bunch of other good info about water too):

http://grandpappy.info/wwater.htm

#119264 - 01/07/08 10:45 PM Re: Boiling water to make it safe . [Re: handyman]
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
I think one of the most important elements when looking at boiling times is Altitude. At sea level 1 minute of a rolling boil is acceptable, but 3 minutes is recommended. At elevations above 2000m (5000’) then 3 minutes is required and 5 minutes is recommended. The difference is just a 'fudge factor' because in wilderness conditions things go wrong and a little more time is better than a little less and everyone option on a rolling boil may be a bit different as well. Don't take chances boil your water for at least 3 minutes.
boreal.net

#119266 - 01/07/08 10:49 PM Re: Boiling water to make it safe . [Re: ]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hi Hacksaw,

Altitude will also play a factor, the boiling point temperature of water gets lower the higher the altitude.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clausius-Clapeyron_equation

This is crucial, as prolonged boiling of water, or water that is boiled twice, drives off the dissolved oxygen in the water, making the tea taste flat cry. There can sometimes be a fine point between a decent cup of tea and bacterial infection at high altitudes. Thats why a pressure cooker is a good idea at altitude.

People who live at high altitudes, like Tibetans, drink their tea while it is bubbling with boiling. Many Tibetans who moved to India suffered serious burns when they drank their boiling tea at sea-level.

#119267 - 01/07/08 10:51 PM Re: Boiling water to make it safe . [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I've heard that it's impossible to boil and egg on Mt. Everest because the water won't get hot enough at a boil to cook the egg.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 607 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
israfaceVity, Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall
5369 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.