Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#118903 - 01/05/08 02:16 AM Car Kit Pics
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Had some time tonight so I decided to repack my car kit.

The obvious things are missing which are also in my Jeep but not part of the kit itself (booster cables, tow rope, snow shovel, etc). I'm also currently missing any signal gear. No flares or anything. It's on my to do list. I just didn't have that stuff on hand.

The stuff in some sort of order:
  • German military surplus ruck waterproofed with Nikwax
  • Metal canteen cup, cooker, and Esbit tabs (the cup and cooker were extra after my order with Bestglide. figured I'd put it to good use)
  • Roll of Aluminum foil (actually what was left of some foil I had in the kitchen.)
  • Water purification tablets
  • Black Garbage Bag
  • AMK space blanket (double size)
  • 4 chemical hand warmers
  • First Aid Kit
  • Patchwork quilt (thanks Grandma!)
  • 3L of distilled water in a 4L jug (for expansion should it freeze)
  • Coghlan's folding shovel
  • Small roll of duct tape
  • Bottle of hand sanitizer
  • LED flashlight
  • Duracel dynamo crank LED flashlight/radio combo
  • Gerber Big Rock camp knife
  • Nuwick 120 hour candle (with tinder and extra matches under the lid)
  • Gerber multipliers model 600
  • Mechanix gloves

#118915 - 01/05/08 03:06 AM Re: Car Kit Pics [Re: ]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Looks pretty nice. I'd try and get something to light that candle, besides the stuff in the lid. Like the bag too; I'm using a few different bags in my kit since they fit under the seat. Bet your carries well though! Maybe add some toilet paper or napkins, should you be out for a few days...

#118927 - 01/05/08 04:13 AM Re: Car Kit Pics [Re: MDinana]
Gray Offline
Stranger

Loc: Albuquerque, NM
If this is a car kit, I would add extra water. 3l is probably enough for one day of stressful situations, but I would want more if I was to be out longer. Since it is going in a car, weight is less of an issue.

If you have to go on foot, you can always ditch stuff.

#118942 - 01/05/08 01:49 PM Re: Car Kit Pics [Re: Gray]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Good morning Hacksaw,

Looks like a good start.

I would recommend switching the "milk jug" water container for several smaller bottled water containers.

I've had several milk jugs crack and leak all over my car (and in my hurricane supplies) due to the thinner plastic.

The smaller bottled water containers have a thicker plastic (depending on brand) and the smaller containers will give you more versatility in storage/transport (i.e. can split up the load amongst who your bug out buddies/traveling companions are.

Edited by samhain (01/05/08 01:50 PM)

#118944 - 01/05/08 01:57 PM Re: Car Kit Pics [Re: ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Coghlan's folding shovels are notorious for breaking in short order, at least in my experience. I would suggest getting a real USGI e-tool...

#118949 - 01/05/08 03:06 PM Re: Car Kit Pics [Re: ]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
Hi Hacksaw,

Where did you buy your German Alpine rucksack? Chris K. convinced me that I should get this bag. Did you buy it from a Canadian store?

Thanks
Frankie

#118951 - 01/05/08 03:38 PM Re: Car Kit Pics [Re: samhain]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Second switching the water container. The one you have is a leak-o-matic. Equally cheap and much better would be recycled Gatorade or sport drink bottles. If water is critical, separate bottles are better than one container. Depending on your location, three liters might or might not be adequate. Coming from a desert background, I doubt you can have too much drinkable water.

#118952 - 01/05/08 03:58 PM Re: Car Kit Pics [Re: hikermor]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

good kit -- I'd add more calories. 2 boxes of granola bars and some chocolate are recomended.

#118954 - 01/05/08 05:24 PM Re: Car Kit Pics [Re: ]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego
Hacksaw:

I think a light shelter, and some 550 cord would be a good addition. A painters tarp that weight very little and is small to carry. Never can tell when you are going to have to leave your wheels.

#118955 - 01/05/08 05:25 PM Re: Car Kit Pics [Re: Frankie]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Frankie
Hi Hacksaw,

Where did you buy your German Alpine rucksack? Chris K. convinced me that I should get this bag. Did you buy it from a Canadian store?

Thanks
Frankie

I picked it up at Cabela's the last time I was in the US. I think they still sell them. About 20 bucks. I waterproofed mine with Nikwax tent and gear proofer...the buckle tighteners have a funny design and since I've waterproofed it, they slip really badly. The tub and top flaps are waterproof anyhow so waterproofing isn't completely needed. I just didn't want the canvas to take on water and rot.

Thanks for all the tips. I haven't had an issue with the jug so far this winter but as opposed to risking it I've decided that I'm going to put a flat of bottled water from Costco in the back. I did this on my last road trip with great success as extra water for drinking and cooking. Easier to carry a bit at a time if needs be as well (or split up between several passengers). I'll have to keep an eye out at the local surplus shops for a proper shovel. The Coghlan's shovel has never been used as I usually use my Gerber folding shovel for digging.

Food is something I've been going back and forth on. I bought some Mainstay rations from BestGlide a while ago but unfortunately the vacuum seal on the bag broke and they won't store now (I guess that's an argument to buy smaller packages). Given that it's unlikely to be stranded more than a few days, I'm not as concerned about food as some other more vital items.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 504 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
israfaceVity, Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall
5369 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.