Originally Posted By: CityBoyGoneCountry

All the food we eat comes originally from wild species. I stayed on a farm for a while once, which kept cattle. One day I saw the farmer running across a field banging two pans above his head. When I asked why, he said he was chasing some deer away. As I persevered with my questioning he said that the wild deer ate a lot of grass which was for his cattle. I asked why he didn't just forget about the cattle and eat deer meat instead, as this would obviously make for an easier life.

Our civilization has laws saying you can't just hunt for deer, even on your own property, any time you wish. Even when you can legally hunt deer on your property, within the season the law allows, you are still required to haul that deer into town and pay a small tax to have it tagged as legal.

I do have a couple cousins in WV who do hunt and fish out of season, they own a lot of land way back in the hills and are as close to living off the land as you can get these days. They cut their own trees and hauled them to their own sawmill and made limber and built their own houses from them. The hunt and fish as needed and the law overlooks them because they are responsible in they don't hunt more than then need.