Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#117517 - 12/26/07 02:58 AM powdered Gatorade
Ors Offline
Namu (Giant Tree)
Addict

Loc: Florida, USA
Why doesn't it taste anything like the mixed stuff? Even using purified/bottled water...nasty stuff...why??

#117527 - 12/26/07 04:31 AM Re: powdered Gatorade [Re: Ors]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
When I was at law enforcement training academy in southern Georgia (many moons ago), they would mix that stuff up in huge Igloo containers at the gym. What are they, 15 gallons or so? We got so used to drinking it during workouts that, anytime I bought a regular Gatorade, IT tasted nasty!

I guess it's all a frame of mind and what you get used to. If you stop buying the "good" stuff, the powdered stuff will probably suit your tastes before long. smile

#117560 - 12/26/07 02:18 PM Re: powdered Gatorade [Re: Ors]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Don't know, don't care. My only experience with Gatorade, the original stuff, was at one of those huge Los Angeles County brush fires years ago. Fire guys came along, found me out on foot directing traffic in the 100+ heat, ice tea all gone, cowboy canteen empty, and gave me a few bottles. That stuff tasted SO nasty I have never gone back. So if you think that the powdered stuff is worse, I want nothing to do with it!!!

#117567 - 12/26/07 03:22 PM Re: powdered Gatorade [Re: OldBaldGuy]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I agree. I drank too much gatorade in Iraq and have lost any taste I had for the stuff previous.

In fact, I find all the "Sports Drinks" to be pretty much unpallatable anymore. Gimme cool water to drink when I am real thirsty, and an occasional V-8 for the sodium and potassium replacement and I am good to go(maybe could add a little vodka and some hot sauce for the V-8). smile

#117577 - 12/26/07 04:35 PM Re: powdered Gatorade [Re: ]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
Gatorade tastes like crap wheather it's a powder or not.. YMMV

#117590 - 12/26/07 05:44 PM Re: powdered Gatorade [Re: JIM]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Am I the only one here who likes Gatorade?

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#117592 - 12/26/07 05:57 PM Re: powdered Gatorade [Re: Blast]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
Originally Posted By: Blast

-Blast

You're the mad scientist...I would be surprised if you didn't like Gatorade... grin Wouldn't be surprised if you invented Gatorade either, or if you make it yourself in the basement.. whistle

#117593 - 12/26/07 06:04 PM Re: powdered Gatorade [Re: Blast]
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

Nope. I love Gatorade. I drink it all the time.

I don't like carbonated drinks. They're freakin nasty. I either drink Gatorade, fruit juice, or plain ole water.

#117600 - 12/26/07 06:43 PM Re: powdered Gatorade [Re: Ors]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Ors
Why doesn't it taste anything like the mixed stuff? Even using purified/bottled water...nasty stuff...why??

I don't like Gatorade, so I don't have any packages handy to compare. I assume the ingredients are slightly different to accomodate making the powder version. It's like laundry detergent. The liquid and powder versions are slightly different. Some chemicals aren't readily available dry, while other chemicals may not last long when combined in solution, so the laundry folks have to tweak the ingredients.

Anyway, I suspect that some of the ingredients are different in the powder version of Gatorade. Maybe the sweeteners are different?

#117605 - 12/26/07 07:47 PM Re: powdered Gatorade [Re: Arney]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
I like the Original flavor of Gatorade, but I will only drink the powdered version.

In my opinion, the main difference in taste of powdered Gatorade versus Gatorade in the bottle is the following...

Powdered Gatorade uses Sugar (Sucrose=glucose+Fructose made from Sugar cane or beets and some dextrose made from corn) and Gatorade in the bottle uses Sucrose and High Fructose Corn Syrup (Fructose made from corn). Some people tell me that HFCS tastes the same as sugar. I absolutely disagree.

I'm sure another part of the taste equation is what it takes to make a shelf-stable product that has a shelf-life of about 2 years (using the can of Gatorade Green I grabbed from the pantry as a basis for an estimate). Bottled Gatorade has a shelf-life of nine months if it remains sealed, and three to five days once opened (Info from The Gatorade FAQ)

I'll skip over the GMO corn and HFCS debate, and the HFCS versus Sugar in regards to diabetes cases as well. You can google that if you like.

As for the Gatorade that my football coach used to make, why it tasted bad, and why the Gatorade I make is awesome... It seems to me that the difference is he was either keeping expenses down by using less Gatorade mix per volume of water than was called for, or he just dumped a packet of Gatorade mix into a big cooler and figured that filling the cooler (no matter what size) with hot water from a hose was the correct ratio of mix to water.

Either way, I prefer water unless I'm super dehydrated and need to lock in some fluids. Gatorade was a godsend when I was sick with a virus a few weeks ago.

I should also mention that different Gatorade products obviously have different ingredients and my information is based on Lemon-Lime Gatorade, AKA Gatorade Original, AKA Gatorade Green.

Edited by Nicodemus (12/26/07 07:55 PM)
Edit Reason: Clarification

#117606 - 12/26/07 08:00 PM Re: powdered Gatorade [Re: Nicodemus]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Nicodemus
Some people tell me that HFCS tastes the same as sugar. I absolutely disagree.

I agree, high fructose corn syrup and sugar are not the same taste. I'm not sure if this is still true, but as of not that long ago, you can buy Coke in Hawaii that was made with cane sugar, and it tasted different (at least to me) from the "normal" Coke that is sweetened with HFCS. But until rather recently, corn was so ridiculously cheap, I'm not sure if even locally grown sugar cane could be cost effective against such dirt cheap HFCS.

#117607 - 12/26/07 08:09 PM Re: powdered Gatorade [Re: Arney]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
Oh man... A coke with real sugar in it. I'd just about kill for one of those.

A Coke that tastes like the Coke I remember from childhood...

Wavy Lines

Doodle oodle ooo
Doodle oodle ooo
Doodle oodle ooo

#117620 - 12/26/07 09:36 PM Re: powdered Gatorade [Re: ]
Cyblade Offline
Journeyman

One summer I was so sick I couldnt hold down any solid food and even tho I never drank the orange gatoraid before but for some reason thats all I wanted and could hold down so I lived off the stuff for a whole week. Let just say I've never had orange gatoraid again and only after a couple of years could a stand gatoraid at all. I still carry some of the powder when I'm out hiking or something but I dont drink too much.

#117629 - 12/27/07 12:19 AM Re: powdered Gatorade [Re: Blast]
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada

-Blast

Love the stuff!!!!

The pink lemonade or the regular lemonade from the bottle are my fav choices. I couldn't get the powder versions to even come close to what you can get out of the bottle.

#117630 - 12/27/07 12:31 AM Re: powdered Gatorade [Re: Nicodemus]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Originally Posted By: Nicodemus
Oh man... A coke with real sugar in it. I'd just about kill for one of those.

A Coke that tastes like the Coke I remember from childhood...

Wavy Lines

Doodle oodle ooo
Doodle oodle ooo
Doodle oodle ooo

Get the Kosher for Passover Coke - made with sugar, not HFCS
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#117634 - 12/27/07 02:15 AM Re: powdered Gatorade [Re: Nicodemus]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Quote:
Bottled Gatorade has a shelf-life of nine months if it remains sealed

That's based on the fact that it will start to settle out if left undisturbed. When it does this give it a good shake. I did this with the last part of a case of the orange. I couldn't tell any difference in the taste. YMMV I just checked & had two left on the shelf. Shook one & put it in the fridge. I'll report back on the results. Its at least 1.5-2 years old.

#117635 - 12/27/07 02:18 AM Re: powdered Gatorade [Re: Blast]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Nope. Love the orange.

#117636 - 12/27/07 02:18 AM Re: powdered Gatorade [Re: Ors]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego

The tast of Gatorade is the reason I use Gookenaid, good stuff.

#117641 - 12/27/07 02:34 AM Re: powdered Gatorade [Re: big_al]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Crystal Lite OJ, with vodka...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 792 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
israfaceVity, Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall
5369 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.