I haven't read any other responses to this post yet, but here are my thoughts as of this moment...

I am reminded of my first guitar teacher's immortal words..."If you can't afford a few scratches and dings, then your guitar is too expensive..."

Smart man, that one.

I understand your point though...I've been thinking more and more that I want to get a regular old RSK for EDC...I want to keep my M2 version looking nice...although I don't think it will ever sit around and collect dust. But it's far easier to replace a RSK mk1 than it would be to replace the M2 if I trash it.

I think you have to find the balance between good quality gear, and comfort level in using it for what it was designed for. Also consider how often you expect to use it and how you expect to use it. I tend to like overengineered and over quality equipment. Sometimes a Snow Peak Ti spork is called for, but sometimes a Light My Fire spork will do. The flash drives that I carry on my key chains are San Disk Ti Cruzers...probably more durable than I will ever need, but the cool factor is worth it to me...I have not pinched pennies to replace them with Iron Keys yet...maybe just one of those...cool factor is good, but there's a lot of cool gear to pinch pennies for out there!

If the gear you choose really lives up to the quality and cool factors...then use 'em and abuse 'em...that's what it's there for! And if it doesn't live up to the claims...contact the manufacturer!