Just a few random thoughts from reading through the posts. You can buy decent, very serviceable EDC items without spending a lot of money. For example a SAK or a mora knife, very good quality for little money. A more expensive knife will not necessarily perform better in the field. Same thing with many lights, mag lights are relatively inexpensive given the quality. I've bought several princeton tec lights for under $20 on clearance and they work great. All that said, I do appreciate better made items, even if the quality difference is only in the finishing and appearance and not in actual field performance.

It's easy to convince yourself that the $200 knife is better than the $10 mora, and afterall your life may be on the line, but in a tight spot the $10 mora will be more than adequate for your needs.

Woolens - spot on regarding the quality of vintage Woolrich clothing. Older stuff is better than what they sell now. I'm a thrift store addict and recently found a vintage (1960's perhaps) Woolrich jacket that is a far cut above what Woolrich currently offers. To find similar clothing today you need to buy Filson or something on that line. I paid about $10 for the Woolrich jacket at the thrift store.