Originally Posted By: KenK
My first thought was that a GPS - especially one that had an electronic compass so it would point to where they want to go - would have saved them all the trouble and gotten them back to their truck (IF they'd have saved a waypoint at the truck). . .

But then I started thinking that they may still have gotten stuck in the truck because of the snow.

I keep coming back to the amazing PLB technology. Yes, it is kind of expensive, but it saves lives!

Ken K.
First it's an EDC knife, then a lighter, then a GPS, next thing you know one of these guys will start carrying a backpack with equipment to build a shelter even though he doesn't plan to stay overnight. THEN he starts carrying a piece of gear he hopes to never use, he joins a forum much like this one and shakes his head when he reads about other clueless people getting stuck in a wilderness area.

I've never been stuck in the snow -- well okay, once twice with my Dad when I was a kid, but that's when I learned about limitations. I'll bet these kids are going through the shoulda, woulda, coulda thought process -- life lessons. Learning from your own mistakes is as good or better than learning from others, if you survive. These guys all made it -- class dismissed.