Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#115444 - 12/11/07 04:58 AM Re: Cellphone as Survival Gear...if the phone surv [Re: GarlyDog]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
The Otterbox is the best PDA protection available. Just get used to a bluetooth headset for sound clarity. And look for an alternative software not using the edges of the screen. There is no other good enough solution to the problems you've described. Except the specially designed phone models.

#115464 - 12/11/07 02:31 PM Re: Cellphone as Survival Gear...if the phone surv [Re: Alex]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

In my case touch screen problems aren't a problem...it's a blackberry.

I'm going to order the Otterbox defender for the 8130 when it comes out in the new year. I made some calls and apparently the mic and speaker holes have been specially acoustically improved...designed by some company who specializes in such things. I'll have to order straight from Otterbox though. None of the local carriers bring them in. The phone models change so fast they always end up getting stuck with old stock they can't move.

Bluetooth is something I use all the time anyhow. I have a Parrot 3600 kit in the car and several Bluetooth earpieces. Thinking about picking up the X2(?) waterproof model too.

#115673 - 12/12/07 07:20 PM Re: Cellphone as Survival Gear...if the phone surv [Re: ]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Ah, well. One of the things I love about my new smartphone is its (relatively) small size. It's small enough that it lives in my trouser pocket and goes everywhere with me. My previous phone was small enough in theory, but in practice I'd put it on my desk at work and leave it on a table when at home.

So my current phone is right on the edge, and I think wrapping any kind of case around it would make it too big. I'd rather have it on me all the time than secure but elsewhere. Also, I've never lost a phone to breakage (I had my previous one for nearly 4 years). If it's in my pocket, anything which breaks it is likely to break me too. If I am venturing into hazardous environments I'll probably move it into a waist pack.

(If anyone's interested, the previous phone is a Sony Ericsson P900 and the current one an SE P1.)

#115677 - 12/12/07 07:59 PM Re: Cellphone as Survival Gear...if the phone surv [Re: ]
iain Offline
Stranger

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I've opted for the Ziploc freezer bag approach.

You can't use the phone while it's in the bag, but it keeps it safe. I've actually made a custom-sized bag specifically for my phone using a vac sealer so that it doesn't take up excessive space. Inexpensive and fairly durable too.

When you step out that door in the morning you never really know what you're going to encounter.

#115699 - 12/12/07 11:12 PM Re: Cellphone as Survival Gear...if the phone surv [Re: iain]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Make a pouch out of several layers of bubble wrap. Slip the phone in and slide the pouch into a dry sack. To have all the angles covered you could stuff in a spare battery, charger unit, Sidewinder manual power unit and auxiliary antenna if your phone can use one.

A dedicated Pelican box with cubed foam as padding would also work.

When selecting a phone for emergency use lean for a combination of reception and battery life. Stay away from features that consume excessive power like large color displays and cameras.

The ability to send text messages, I think most phones have this, is useful and can sometimes get through when a voice connection won't.

#115709 - 12/12/07 11:51 PM Re: Cellphone as Survival Gear...if the phone surv [Re: iain]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Originally Posted By: iain
I've opted for the Ziploc freezer bag approach.

You might want to look into the Aquapac cases. You can still use the phone while it is inside these, and they are a whole lot more durable than a Ziploc (even the freezer bags)… especially the opening/closing mechanism. I believe they even have some that will work for clamshell/flip phones.

#115729 - 12/13/07 01:43 AM Re: Cellphone as Survival Gear...if the phone surv [Re: Art_in_FL]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
Make a pouch out of several layers of bubble wrap. Slip the phone in and slide the pouch into a dry sack. To have all the angles covered you could stuff in a spare battery, charger unit, Sidewinder manual power unit and auxiliary antenna if your phone can use one.

A dedicated Pelican box with cubed foam as padding would also work.

When selecting a phone for emergency use lean for a combination of reception and battery life. Stay away from features that consume excessive power like large color displays and cameras.

The ability to send text messages, I think most phones have this, is useful and can sometimes get through when a voice connection won't.

It would be nice to have a phone just for emergency use...I will only have one phone for all uses...including the office so home brew bubble wrap protection might not be appropriate. If I need protection that bad I have pelican cases or will buy an Aquapac case. I'm more concerned about the fall into a toilet or the rainstorm I get ride home in.

#115812 - 12/13/07 05:51 PM Re: Cellphone as Survival Gear...if the phone survives [Re: ]
jenks Offline

Good post with valid questions...

My quest for a durable water resistant phone is due to my work with the Candian Coast Guard Aux. Most new phones are very easily killed by water. I've even killed a phone inside a drysuit due to moisture build up inside.

I've used the OMNIseal pouches and they work well for Razors and the like. Good protection, but no funtionality obviously when inside. These are the pouches that the small AMK kits come in.

The Casio phones are great and the older version actually meets some pretty good Mil specs. They can only be used on Verizon network however. Maybe in the future, with Verizon's announcement of opening up their network, we might see a version with greater compatability with other networks.

Most "Candy bar" phones are inherently more durable than flip phones from an over use, dropped it on the deck again, point of view.

The phone I am using now, and have yet to kill (touch wood) is a Nokia 5500. It's doesn't meet any Milspecs but is very well built and protected. It is also a full featured "Smart Phone" with all the stuff you want from a blackberry and the like. The trade off is that to be small and durable it has a small screen though.
There is a Russian cell phone test site that torture tests phone and it did very well. Also on YouTube there is a video of it funtioning in a pint of beer.

If you don't need a smart phone, Siemens makes some durable phones (M71, M81)
Older Nokias like the 5140 are very durable and can even have a GPS module tacked onto it.

My thoughts are generally worth exactly what you've paid for them.

Jenks

#115827 - 12/13/07 08:35 PM Re: Cellphone as Survival Gear...if the phone survives [Re: ]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

Well you can get a G'Zone hardened phone. Or just pack your phone in tupperware for a moderate level of protection

teacher

#115828 - 12/13/07 08:45 PM Re: Cellphone as Survival Gear...if the phone survives [Re: teacher]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I looked at the ruggedized phones but they're hard to come by and most of them run on the iDen/Mike networks only which limits things somewhat.

I think a combination of the Otterbox defender and an Aquapac bag (or similar) is the best combination factoring budget, style, protection, and not looking like a freak at the office.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 416 Guests and 34 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by paulr
Yesterday at 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.