The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#116183 - 12/16/07 08:17 PM Re: Need a good tow rope [Re: colbyhouse]
Jackpine_Savage Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Minnesota
I've had tow straps fail where they were sewed. The stitching rotted while sitting in my pickup over the course of several years. I've since gone to a tow chain. When straps or rope break they tend to snap and anything that is attached, like a hook, flies also. With a chain if they break they tend to fall to the ground.

The down side is they are heavy, tend to rust, or leave oil stains on the carpet of the vehicle. I currently use a logging chain with both chain hooks and large hooks on each end. This setup hasn't failed me and seems to be fairly universal.

Take Care and Stay Safe,

P.S. Merry Christmas

#116188 - 12/16/07 08:50 PM Re: Need a good tow rope [Re: Shadow_oo00]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Shadow_oo00
I'm going to order one unless anyone has a good reason not to.
If that thing ever disengaged, you'd have one great flying killing machine. Now, the question is, could it become dislodged? If that little cable loop thing in the picture could be used to corral ALL parts of the looped webbing strap I'd feel better about the deal. But it doesn't show that cable thing being using in that manner in the picture.

This brings up a good question: How is the best way to attach a snatch strap with loops on both ends to closed loop tow hooks on each vehicle? It's easy enough to loop and feed the strap through itself on one vehicle, but what about the other? You'd need something that can open and then securely close, like a D-Ring. Is it safe to attach a D-Ring to an existing (closed) tow hook? Should D-Rings only be attached directly to the frame? Assuming you can find an adequate place to attach them - you'd need a hole in the frame at a good spot, wouldn't you?

#116192 - 12/16/07 09:03 PM Re: Need a good tow rope [Re: haertig]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Good point about the possibility of disengaging, I do think that the cable loop shown is intended and included for that purpose. Still something to consider, thats why its good to ask around before buying some thing's.

Prepare Or Not To Prepare That Is The Question. The Answer, You Better !!!

#116193 - 12/16/07 09:10 PM Re: Need a good tow rope [Re: Shadow_oo00]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
regarding D-rings (not the carabiners), how do you use them? Is it welded to the vehicle, or do you throw the ring around an attachment point and then hook the tow rope to then directly?

#116201 - 12/16/07 09:36 PM Re: Need a good tow rope [Re: MDinana]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: MDinana
regarding D-rings (not the carabiners), how do you use them? Is it welded to the vehicle, or do you throw the ring around an attachment point and then hook the tow rope to then directly?

This is how I do it on my truck:

But, as long as you can find something solid to attach it too (like a factory mounted tow loop) it can be used in various configurations.

#116338 - 12/18/07 12:07 AM Re: Need a good tow rope [Re: Paul810]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Thanks for mentioning the D-rings. It just reminded me again to go out and get a pair for my SUV.

A few weeks ago, at our first good snow of the season, I came across a van who had slid off the road into a ditch. I was second on the scene and the 1st guy (Jeep Cherokee) was hooking up but he looped his tow rope right over his ball joint. Although I thought that was pretty dangerous, I still helped out by being the go between and gave them directions while he pulled the van out. Needless to say, I stayed well clear of the path of the tow rope in case it gave way.

I volunteered to use clean my rope but he was adamant that his dirty, oily rope was sufficient. :-( Fortunately it worked out OK in spite of this.

#116809 - 12/20/07 10:23 PM Re: Need a good tow rope [Re: haertig]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Followup:

Originally Posted By: haertig
Does anyone have one of these straps (from Cabela's)?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...p&noImage=0

It is billed as a "recovery strap" which implies the elasticity I'm after. However, listed right beside the above strap at Cabela's is a sibling strap, a "recovery strap" that has HEAVY METAL ATTACHMENTS, which would be terribly unsafe!

I ordered this 3", 30' long, 27,000 lb tow strap from Cabelas (NOT the sibling with the hooks attached).

I received it today. It is indeed an elastic "snatch" strap. It talks about the elastic capability and mentions doing a "snatch recovery" on the packaging, and how you slingshot the stuck vehicle to get it unstuck. It is made in Canada by Erickson, model #09800. This thing looks like it could snatch an elephant right off its feet!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 508 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.